Murder or self defense?

So you can point a gun at someone legally even off your property and for no reason at all?

In some states it seems to be

1 Like

The Court of Criminal Appeals has clarified that not every alarming gun display qualifies; to violate the statute, ā€œa person must intentionally and knowingly display a firearm in a public place in a manner that he knows is likely, under an objective standard of reasonableness, to frighten the average, ordinary person.ā€6868State v. Ross, 573 S.W.3d 817, 825 (Tex. Crim. App. 2019). CLOSE Thus, pointing a gun at another person in Texas is likely a misdemeanor crime in many circumstances, but Texas law also leaves room in at least some situations for rebutting a prosecutorā€™s arguments that the actor had a reckless state of mind and placed the other person in imminent danger.

Yes, and

"Mr. Read said Iā€™ll take your gun and effing kill you with it and then tried to. It was then and only then did that gun get pointed at Mr. Read at the fatal moment,ā€ Carruthā€™s attorney said

I donā€™t know if the video backs that up. Read isnā€™t around to dispute the words.

Also, notice that Read is physically bigger than Carruth.

Just watched the video and havenā€™t read the other comments yet. I feel like this is murder for sure but it also depends on the state. They are on the guy with the gunā€™s land and he asked them to leave so in some states that gives you a legal right to shoot them so it would be ā€œself defense.ā€ The other guy also did get in his face and grab (while not a very hearty attempt) at the gun so that is also another case for ā€œself defense.ā€ Where I live this is 100% murder but the state next door it is 100% self defense IMO

Should have read comments and the articleā€¦ Texas will probably be self defense

You could do that once in Canada. Then youā€™d never own a gun again.

The self defense thing can be really crazy. Switching cases, but the guy on the Legal Eagle channel pointed out that under WI law Rittenhouse was reasonably found to be acting in self defense - but if one of the guys heā€™d shot had shot Rittenhouse first, theyā€™d likely also be innocent by the same law. So the takeaway is to be the first to shoot in WI, apparently.

1 Like

Shoot first, ask questions later, America!

1 Like
1 Like

Grand jury says not a crime.

https://www.kcbd.com/2022/04/01/homicide-chad-read-goes-before-lubbock-co-grand-jury-sources-say-no-charges-will-be-filed/?outputType=amp

It seems the shooter will face a civil trial where I gotta think heā€™ll be found liable for wrongful death and probably lose whatever assets he has. Still, no jail time is a travesty.