Mortality trends (non-pandemic)

I believe receipt of it, he did take with him the page I’d signed.

Yeah, I think they do need wet signatures still… at least in some states. That’s the sort of thing that might vary. Maybe there’s a timeframe to get them. “Policy in effect upon payment, need wet signature within 10 days” or something like that. Geez, I took (and passed!) the exam to sell insurance in my state… I should probably know that.

I think where your post was a little confusingly worded was

That kind of makes it sound like the agent was fine with you not having a copy at all, but then because you asked for a copy… all of a sudden it needed to be hand delivered with a signature.

My guess is that in reality it needed the signature either way, but you called the agent requesting a copy before the agent got around to calling you to discuss the signature.

From what I gathered if I did an online copy then I could digitally sign it, but I was keen for a physical copy of it that I could put in my filing cabinet which is primed should the worst ever happen, to which he said that was fine but he’d need to drive out for a wet signature then. Maybe it was hopes for a sale although he had to drive ~45 minutes one way to me and I’m not exactly a huge customer for him as a 31 year old buying a 10 year term life policy.

In fact! My rate went down from the initial quote after they processed my biometrics

1 Like

I will be doing a post later

If you would like to compare/contrast, I did a post back in December 2019 about a similar table from the CDC:
http://stump.marypat.org/article/1294/mortality-with-meep-top-causes-of-death-raw-numbers

2 Likes

Ah! Here’s one!

From 1 to 54 people are out to get you but you make it to 55 and no one wants to kill you anymore

here are the two top causes of death – heart disease:

cancer:

not true. they don’t want to kill you as much as the other things our to get the AARP crowd

a couple videos, a ranking list, and a tile grid map

because I like it so much, I’m dropping the tile grid map here

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

Is it possible that the decrease in cancer can be explained by less cancer diagnosed overall as everyone stayed away from medical care to a degree? Like an undiagnosed, fast-moving cancer could cause a death before being diagnosed as such? Or is that far fetched- a person would be sent to ER at some point and the diagnosis would be determined?

The percentage change is really very small – this is change in rates and we already have a long-term decreasing trend (which I didn’t show in the post, but I already knew about).

This is the issue with “excess mortality” – one of the SOA research papers that came out was looking at different ways to define it, and perhaps one should extend the trend that already existed, not merely take a recent average of rates.

1 Like

Hey guys, just gonna drop a bunch of suicide rate graphs on you. Enjoy.

1 Like

Suicide post

1 Like

Mary Pat, Thanks for the continual updates. They’re very helpful. Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Very helpful.

No clue what that Q3 increase is. Weird that 20-24 looks a lot like 30-34 for the last 6 quarters, but that’s not info just a quirk.

Opportunity (and lost opportunity) in early shut down seems like a reasonable explanation.

Asking in full ignorance (redundant from me, I know): has the coding of suicide as CoD been evolving to where people are more willing to have it listed (or the official is not trying to shield a family from some perceived stigma)? Or has it been free of shenanigans? Impossible to tell, but if there was a time when it wasn’t listed out of consideration for something but now is more accurately captured, it would show increase even if rates remained the same.

I really don’t know – I know from Poisoner’s Handbook (my review below) that people used to bribe coroners to not put down suicide. Sometimes due to life insurance exclusions, but sometimes due just to the stigma.

Suicide trends have been bad since 2000, and that’s pretty broad across the adult age groups. For kids, the bad trend started more recently, it looks like, but still preceded the pandemic. That said, it got worse for the younger folks in 2020, and I really don’t want to make comments about the 2021 data yet, because I think it’s too inconclusive thus far.

1 Like

I had fun changing this graph:

to this graph: