Mortality trends (non-pandemic)

Aw dammit. Yeah, I default to transparent pics. Let me see.

Okay, I updated them – let me know if you can’t see them still.

I have to use transparent background for my graphs for production for the day job and I have my templates set up that way.

1 Like

Much better. Thanks.

Yes, drug overdoses were up by a lot

AP news prefers to use a family pic. I prefer to use the choropleth:

Oh jeez, I just saw what ads Amazon slapped on my post. Lord.

CNN coverage:

Hey guys, have some suicide stats

This is for tomorrow’s post

one more

Is there a reason there’s nothing shown for <25?

To grab text out of my blog post to come in an hour or so:

part of it is lack of continuity in definition of age groups over my data sets, part of it is too many lines on my graph, and a very large part of it is that the highest suicide rates are for older folks. While a lot of suicide resources do focus on kids and teens, they have very low suicide rates compared to adults.

The discontinuity is the main reason, though. The CDC age group breaks changed between the three main databases I look at – there are three databases as it goes from ICD-8 to ICD-9 to ICD-10.

Here’s the post

This intersects

I’m not even bothering doing rates here.

Speaking of dying, I got my physical life insurance policy yesterday. The agent (who is pleasant enough when he’s not trying to sell me something) tried to sell me extra stuff so I had no choice but to start talking him through my analysis on the right funding levels for my kids’ 529 plans and all the trend assumptions that go into that.

I have no qualms telling people “I am a financial professional and I don’t need help with that.” :woman_shrugging:

As opposed to a spiritual life insurance policy?

Oh I told him a few times I also work in insurance as an actuary and am very familiar with the financials, but the guy is a life insurance agent so he’s not going down that easily.

As opposed to a digital policy :judge:

[quote=“NormalDan, post:54, topic:1388, full:true”]
As opposed to a digital policy :judge:
[/quote] Is that insurance on a concert pianist’s fingers?

“Thanks but I don’t need help with that. Goodbye.”

If that doesn’t work then go full “buh bye” on them.

Well in this case I’d purchased a term life policy and wanted a physical copy of it, to which he said he needed to hand deliver it then as I’d need to sign it and then it was while he was sitting in my kitchen so a little tricky to hang up on him. He’s generally pretty pleasant.

and he couldn’t sign it for you, as all licensing materials tell you that is a sure fire way to get busted for fraud and lose your license. (seriously, it is mentioned ALL the time as an example of what not to do.)

Why did you need to sign your copy? Sounds like you had already purchased the policy & just wanted a copy, so why would any signatures be needed?

What are you people doing to my beautiful thread?

1 Like