March Madness 2021 (a.k.a the annual Rock-Paper-Scissors tournament)

:popcorn:

BTW, how did all the LDS end up in the same bracket? Actuary321, MayanActuary and soyleche? Seems less than random if you ask me.

Being in the Whiskey region would be against their (our) religion. UA was just being sensitive

1 Like

Do I need to start now?
I don’t want to beat AO fan too quickly, I’ll get bored standing over her bloodied corpse for too long.

1 Like

OK, I can understand that, but we all ended up in the same half of the bracket. At least one of us should have been in the other half so that we’d have a chance to not meet until the regional finals.

Probably going to end up with a Sunday match, too, huh?

1 Like

Just get on with winning, dude. You don’t hear me complaining about having to play Tiff in the final.

1 Like

I take this statement too literally.

It’s obviously just a statement of well-wishes, but if everyone had good luck every match would have to end in a tie since neither player could lose.

Oh boy…this game is already getting inside my head…I might not have the mental fortitude to persevere…

Roper - Passors - Scick

Pock - Scaper - Rissors

:oh_noes:

It’s difficult. You must be in the game, but not of the game.
That which you control, cannot be controlleth. Thou art hottest then cold. Sayeth yes abet no. Declare in, alas out. Be it up, or take down. Turning wrong, when signed right. Observing black, when drawn white.
To arms! Gentlemen! Love letters you send. You don’t really want to fight on, but you can’t really eject now.

2 Likes

I hear UA is not as accommodating as the NCAA

Thank you all for your patience as I learn how PMs work here on GoActuary. :blush:

Also, a brief FAQ to get everyone up to speed (as I, too, get back up to speed on running this!):

How do I know when I’m suppose to submit throws?

If you see a number next to your name, that means you are in an active match, and thus you can start turning in throws!

What if I have a BYE as an opponent?

You may have be shown as having a BYE early on (we gave out 13 of them this time! :astonished: ), but we don’t sync up the rounds here - we play as many at once as we can, until the Final Four. So again, just check to see if you’ve got a number next to your name on the farthest right occurrence of your name in the bracket - if there’s a number, send some throws! :+1:

How many throws do I submit?

For each game you should sumbit 5/five/V throws. These opening rounds will be the best of 5 games.

How often should I submit throws?

At least once a day, unless you’ve already submitted throws and are waiting for your opponent’s throws (after all, how they throw may influence your next set of throws!)

When will you be posting results?

My intent is to do so right after lunch, and towards the end of the workday… but I may slip on the latter one a bit. :grimacing:

And with that, our first update of the tournament! :tada:

Interesting note: In the early-going, Rock was never a winner. I wonder how long that will last??

Whiskey Region

Celalta defeats JFG in Game 1, Celalta leads (1-0)
P JFG
S Celalta

ao_fan defeats GargoylWait in Game 1, ao_fan leads (1-0)
S ao_fan
P GargoylWait

Whiskey       ---- Whiskey
(BYE)

ALivelySed  0 
VorianAtrds*0

-----------------------------------

JFG           ---- JFG         0
(BYE)

Celalta       ---- Celalta     1
(BYE)

------------------------------------------------------

ao_fan        ---- ao_fan      1
(BYE)

GargoylWait   ---- GargoylWait 0
(BYE)

NmrclNeurot   ---- NmrclNeurot 0
(BYE)

A_Student     ---- A_Student*  0
(BYE)

MayanActry Region

Actuary321 defeats IPD in Game 1, Actuary321 leads (1-0)
P-R IPD
P-P Actuary321

soyleche defeats 1695814 in Game 1, soyleche leads (1-0)
S soyleche
P 1695814

Tiffany defeats Doctor_Who in Game 1, Tiffany leads (1-0)
R Doctor_Who
P Tiffany

MayanActry    ---- MayanActry
(BYE)

IPD         0 
Actuary321  1

soyleche      ---- soyleche    1
(BYE)

1695814       ---- 1695814     0 
(BYE)

------------------------------------------------------

gandalf       ---- gandalf*    0 
(BYE)

Marcie        ---- Marcie      0 
(BYE)

Doctor_Who  0 
Tiffany     1

MtnHawk       ---- MtnHawk
(BYE)

Oh! Scissors! I wasn’t expecting that!!!

Nobody ever does!

1 Like

I sure didn’t. :swear:

2 Likes

Wait, are we supposed to submit all 5 at once, or we can submit one a day and see how it turned out, and then submit again? I did it wrong either way, because I started with one, and then followed up with 4 because I read that we were doing 5.

You can just send them to me and then I’ll properly format them and forward to UA.

I believe you did it right. For each game you submit 5 throws. I will use as many as needed to determine the outcome of that game. Most games only go 1 throws, but if there’s a tie I need more than one, as in this match between IPD and Actuary321:

Actuary321 defeats IPD in Game 1, Actuary321 leads (1-0)
P-R IPD
P-P Actuary321

In this case I used the first TWO throws. By asking for 5, there’s a very good chance I’ll have the outcome of the game between two players, hence the reason I ask for so many.

Does that make sense?

Really?! Thanks!

:roll_eyes:

I was confused between these two items, because the first of the two talks about both throws and games. I understood that for a game, we were supposed to submit 5 throws from the example in the OP (thanks!), but was confused by the best of 5 in that I hadn’t taken into consideration the point about reviewing your opponents throws. Hence done it wrong, as I’ve submitted the next 4 games worth of throws after reading but before re-reading and figuring out that I’m dumb :grimacing:

I know, right?
What sort of lunatic plays Scissors first throw?