Makeup: Inherently bad?

I’m not a fan of wearing makeup. If I do wear it, it’s to the extent of concealer to hide blemishes, mascara, and a little bit of lipstick for dates. Maybe if I’m feeling adventurous I’ll apply eye shadow, but I am terrible at applying it. I have a habit of touching my face and rubbing my eyes when I’m working, so with my luck within an hour of work I’ll have raccoon eyes for the rest of the day.

Also, I have a LOT of freckles, and I have freckles on my eyelids. The times I have attempted to put on eye liner, it looks like I’ve messed up or played (and failed) at connect the dots.

I feel better about myself when I have makeup on, but I believe that’s because of the intense damage that was done to me as a young girl that made me believe that I was not pretty enough in my natural state.

I don’t wear makeup on video calls anymore. It feels good not to. I’ll probably feel obligated to wear at least concealer and eye liner if I go back to the office. Those are the only two that I actually enjoy wearing, and I think they make me look less zombie-esque.

People should do whatever makes them feel good. Society should stop pressuring young women to wear it. But there are a lot of things society should stop doing to young women and this doesn’t make the top ten.

It makes me break out. It covers up my freckles. It makes me look different. It makes me feel like I’m behaving the way a good woman does (and I am not that woman).

I don’t think it’s inherently bad. I think it’s like being a stay at home mom, or choosing to lose weight, or dressing in a way that is flattering. None of those things mean you don’t value or love yourself, but they have historically been things used against women to control them. Power to the women who can reclaim them. Power to the women who want nothing to do with them. If it’s your decision and you’re happy with it, who cares?

I don’t think it’s bad. It’s certainly not morally wrong. It makes me break out, so it’s bad for me, but that’s hardly a judgement on anyone else.

If I examine myself closely, I would guess that I feel less warmly towards other women wearing makeup because it’s a marker of social groups. I and most of my friends don’t wear makeup. If you do, you feel less “like me”, and more like an outsider to me. I imagine that women who wear makeup feel the same about me. It’s not a big deal to me, and I hope it’s not to them. I certainly have some friends who are different from me in all sorts of important ways – more important that makeup.

I don’t think makeup is “bad”.

I do find it makes people look fake which again, I don’t think is bad.

Taking this to an extreme, I love seeing what drag queens can do with makeup, I think some of them show extreme talent, I can get a sense of their mood/personality from it. All of this I find “good”. I do not think it makes them more attractive.

My experience has been that people having good/bad reactions to makeup is because part of them believes that we (women) are put on earth in order for them to look at. ignore these people

This is not high among my reasons for not liking makeup. But maybe it should be. GOD I HATE PEOPLE WHO THINK WOMEN EXIST FOR THE PURPOSE OF OTHER PEOPLE TO LOOK AT THEM.

I have thought of one makeup defense point - I wore enough foundation in my youth to protect my skin from the sun (the single biggest culprit in aging skin).

Obviously sun screen everyday is the better option - but do people really do that every day? Maybe they do and I’m just the lazy one.

I mostly stayed out of the sun because I didn’t like being in strong sunlight most of my life. I remember in summer camp always trying to find a shady patch.

Yes, my skin is in pretty good shape for my age. Not looking forward to that getting old. :frowning:

1 Like

It me!

To answer the OP, objectively speaking, yes, makeup is evil.

From the Book of Enoch:

And Azâzêl taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals of the earth and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all colouring tinctures. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways…

…And the whole earth has been corrupted through the works that were taught by Azazel: to him ascribe all sin.

1 Like

More seriously, it drives me nuts how much my daughter has been completely and utterly vane since she was 2.

I once told my grandmother (may she rest) that I needed “to get my beauty sleep, since I’m a princess”. I’ve never lived it down.

She’ll turn out okay.

Do you mean vain? Because vane means fickle.

Uh, yeah. Word substitutions = good time to stop posting.

that’s all that matters

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a compelling reason to wear makeup! Go for it, and enjoy.

At least you can identify your limit. I’ve yet to except in retrospect.

2 Likes