Low Tech Preferred

As I was opening my can of tuna with the manual crank can opener, I thought about how much more I liked it better the old electric I used to have. The old one was hard to clean and harder to get a grip, also harder to control spillage as it opened.

Now I do like it better than the original form that basically sliced through the lid running around the edge.

So, was wondering what other (common) advances people have shunned for the non-electric or less advanced models

1 Like

electric wine opener. Those things are shit.

1 Like

I also use a low tech can opener and prefer low tech wine openers.

My old electric coffee grinder died. I am the only person in my house that drinks coffee, so I donā€™t need much capacity. I decided to buy a hand mill with ceramic burrs, which is much cheaper than an electric one and doesnā€™t take up any counter space. Itā€™s also compact enough to travel with on road trips. I like it.

actually, I love mine.

They malfunction very easily IME. So I gave up. Iā€™m pretty fast at opening wines by hand at this point.

Have had mine a couple of years, use it quite often, never a problem

Cuisinart

Have used pretty much everything possible at some point
Screw & Pliers
Hammer & screwdriver (pound cork in)
Swiss Army knife
Wooden T handle
Plastic travel, cover comes off and goes through a hole to form a T
Folds out with piece to lever against bottle neck
Metal twist with arms that raise (this is the least I would want)
Lever style (Rabbit) with dual handles (this is real nice, storage bigger than the electric)

My spouse likes this fancy non-electronic ā€œWine Genieā€ lever contraption that has fallen apart to shit more than once. I fixed the original and the second is tenuously holding.

I use a little corkscrew that condenses to the size of chapstick and it works every time.

Personally Iā€™ve not found automatic vacuums (Roomba, etc.) to be worth it. Might test it again soon, 4 years ago they just got stuck/broken and werenā€™t worth it.

Used to have a fancy fresh-grind coffee maker with an espresso attachment and everything, it broke all the time, they replaced it for free, it broke again. Now, we have a $25 Mr. Coffee brewer and it works.

1 Like

I pinch myself too often with these.

I have two of these on my desk right now. And no, I do not drink wine at my desk. I think Iā€™ve taken them in my backpack on trips. But I have a new one I keep in its box when not in use that I bought at Total Wine.

Spouse has a manual canopener that slices off the top of the can. Itā€™s beyond my capabilities. I threw it in the garbage once, so that led to a ā€˜conversationā€™.

My preferred coffee maker:

I have a moka pot, but prefer another low tech device for brewing coffee: an aeropress.

NSFW:

impregnating my wife

2 Likes

I still prefer the old fashioned way of doing that as well.

Manual transmission

3 Likes

Even better - riding my bicycle to get there. (Also qualifies as manual transmission, I guess. Though, wife has a bike-shifts-on-itā€™s-own-volition version)

I prefer sending morse code over texting.

1 Like

i prefer rubbing two sticks to start a fire

pour over ftw!

Iā€™m the opposite. When I take students camping, they always want to boyscout the fire. Not me. I bring a propane torch, light it and lean it against the wood. Wait 3 to 5, guaranteed fire.