Looks like vaccines reduce infectiousness, as well as illness

Pfizer, Moderna vaccines 90 percent effective in study of essential workers - The Washington Post

Pfizer, Moderna vaccines are 90% effective after two doses in study of real-life conditions, CDC confirms

Report on essential workers is one of the first to estimate protection against any infection, regardless of symptoms

In a study of about 4,000 health-care personnel, police, firefighters and other essential workers, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that the vaccines reduced the risk of infection by 80 percent after one shot. Protection increased to 90 percent following the second dose. The findings are consistent with clinical trial results and studies showing strong effectiveness in Israel and the United Kingdom, and in initial studies of health-care workers at the UT Southwestern Medical Center and in Southern California.

‘Real world’ study shows Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were 90% effective (statnews.com)

Anew study suggests the messenger RNA vaccines produced by Moderna and the Pfizer-BioNTech partnership appeared to be 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 infection in a real-world setting.

The study was released Monday in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, an online journal published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The study followed nearly 4,000 health care workers, first responders, and other essential workers in eight U.S. locations as the first Covid vaccines were rolled out starting in December. Participants were tested weekly to look for all cases of Covid infection, even asymptomatic ones.

6 Likes

That is really good news for potential mutations and variants

1 Like

Not at all surprising.

But does my vaccine protect you?

Yes, that’s exactly what this study finds. Your vaccine will hep protect me.

1 Like

Seriously, Marcellino, are you trying to be dense? I understand wariness about forcing people to be vaccinated and to document their vaccination status, but isn’t the basic science pretty clear?

Personally, my risk is low enough that I am more worried about infecting vulnerable people like my mom. If I can contract COVID and spread it while being asymptomatic/presymptomatic, getting a vaccine to reduce my potential impact is a big plus.

3 Likes

Well, this is a major factor in how it spreads. It is very good at delaying its symptoms.
So, yes, kryptoniting (a perfectly cromulent word) this superpower will help immensely.
Stupidity (especially in those who think they’re smart – the worst kind) is also a big factor.

2 Likes

I assume your mom is getting or already got vaccinated though, didn’t she?

Technically it’s really bad news for future variants. Good news for people, bad news for the virus. But fuck them.

4 Likes

Yes, she has completed her vaccinations. I am encouraged by the 0 serious cases in the vaccinated study participants, so I think her personal risk is low, but there are at least some of our mutual vulnerable friends and acquaintances that can’t or won’t be vaccinated. Even considering these people as “more remote” in terms of my (personal sense of) responsibility and how emotionally invested I am in their continued good health, the risk trade-off is still heavily weighted toward me getting the vaccine. And I hope it is clear that I understand for others in different circumstances the decision could be a lot tougher.

My mom is vaccinated. But my mom is also immune compromised and had no reaction at all to the vaccine. I’m not at all sure it will protect her.

I’m delighted that her aid got vaccinated. Her aid was very hesitant about it, but ultimately decided to do it. I also look forward to having all her kids vaccinated, to reduce the odds were will give it to her.

My takeaway from the article is that the single dose of the 2 dose series is 80% effective. I wonder if we should start just giving single doses to non-at risk individuals.

The UK took this strategy with the AZ/Oxford vac (prioritizing 1st dose to more people/delaying second dose). It seems to be working decently from a cursory look.

We have no data regarding if a single dose remains that effective. The research simply hasn’t been done. A lot of vaccines are multiple dose because the 2nd dose helps “lock in” the immunity for long periods. (Up to life.)

I don’t know about you, but I’d rather not have a repeat of this virus in 5 years or less.

The US is following the procedures that were explicitly tested. The UK is extrapolating from what we know of other vaccines, and delaying the second dose for 12 weeks, instead of 3-4 weeks. When the dust settles, I bet the UK will have been right. But we won’t know that for sure for several more months.

What the UK is doing I would be fine with. Most other vaccines are more effective with waiting periods of 3-6 months. But the idea of only giving a single dose to low risk persons? Not a good idea.

Yeah, i agree.

Fair enough. But it’s nice to know, that when I see the list of people with just one dose, they have pretty good protection too.