Looks like abortion is about to get outlawed across America

Um yea, there’s lots and lots of contradictions in the bible.

Quiz Show (Bible Contradictions) - YouTube for an amusing sampling.

I will agree with both Twig and Arthur Itas. They all have “explanations”, but let’s just say you need to take them on faith

1 Like

“Many” is the operative word here, not “most” or “all”. “The church” is not a monolith.
But, I agree that those that make the papers seem to be more into hate than love.

All that said. Somebody above said we should get rid of tax deductions for religious organizations. I agree with that. And, it seems that 90% of the people who oppose abortion at fertilization do it from religious belief (however founded). They’re pushing to “establish religion” in my mind.

1 Like

20 weeks is where it starts to feel wrong to me. Maybe it should be earlier, but up until that point, a fetus has 0 chance of survival outside of the woman.

After that… things happen and a mother’s life can be in jeopardy. While id like to say just make that an exception only thing, policing that becomes a nightmare of privacy issues. At that point I don’t think abortion as a true choice is all that common, it is more of a last resort. Maybe I am wrong on that. We don’t ban guns because a lot of people use them for the wrong reason each year. We have to accept some slack in the system.

Debating on when life begins, if it is at conception, vs 6 weeks when a heart beat can be detected, or some point later - those all seem perfectly fine personal or religious views, but they aren’t great for writing laws.

So I find it hard to really say anything other than we should work to educate and reduce the need for abortions, but otherwise restricting them legally is counterproductive.

2 Likes

Hard for me to feel sympathy for someone that has no memory and can’t feel pain and can’t survive without imposing on others.

Yes that applies to full grown adults too.

I’d say this is pretty close to the average American’s opinion on the issue based on polling data. It’s definitely pretty close to my opinion.

https://spot.colorado.edu/~heathwoo/Phil160,Fall02/thomson.htm

A worthy read.

I was surprised when i read an article that pointed out that property rights aren’t mentioned in the constitution, either. Like privacy rights, they’ve been inferred.

Unlike privacy rights, they aren’t in much danger of being thrown out. Because the “originalists” aren’t, they just oppose rights for the oppressed.

1 Like

They are explicitly mentioned in both the fourth amendment (protection against unreasonable search & seizure) and the fifth amendment (protection against being deprived of property without due process of law, also requires just compensation for property taken for eminent domain). The seventh amendment guarantees the right to a jury in civil matters.

So yeah, there is mention of property rights in the Constitution.

I’m going to say that protection against search and seizure applies pretty much exactly the same to “privacy” and to “property”. It is the right to be left alone.

The protection from the state taking your property without compensation is extremely narrow, and doesn’t speak to the broader issue. It’s like not having to put up troops in your home. And the right to a jury isn’t about property, at least, not explicitly.

2 Likes

The right to not be deprived of property without due process seems pretty important, and fairly similar wording to what’s in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

It’s a foundation of capitalism, and it is a fundamental human urge.

Pretty good study for idiotic men that think they have talked to a few women so they know what is best for all women wrt abortion

Turnaway Study offers insights on the impact of losing access to abortion : Shots - Health News : NPR?

Now I’m curious who they actually talked to!

You would think so, but cops have been seizing cash from people for years without due process.

6 Likes

True. I would argue that goes against the 5th Amendment. So our Constitution protects the right, but the courts are not enforcing it.

IMO. IANAL.

1 Like

The 9th amendment is both the most important amendment and the most ignored imo.

2 Likes

I don’t know how an IUD doesn’t expose a woman or physician to legal liability under this law. It’s similar to the texas law, but applies starting at conception.

1 Like

I think they’re going to have a very tough time enforcing that law:

Abortion Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

1. : the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed by the death of the embryo or fetus: such as

a : spontaneous expulsion of a human fetus during the first 12 weeks of gestation

Our second pregnancy was technically an aborted pregnancy; but we usually tell others it was a miscarriage to make it clear that it wasn’t our choice that the pregnancy ended.

I read another article about women being denied treatment for miscarriages in alabama for fear of violating anti abortion laws.

The problem is that “abortion” is not a medical procedure. Instead its a general intent that can be manifest in all sorts of different actions.

1 Like