Looks like abortion is about to get outlawed across America

Because renting a car at the airport/taking a taxi isn’t going to add anything to the costs.

Still feels like a very privileged position. When I worked in a grocery store, I couldn’t have imagined being able to take the shock of a cost this high. I didn’t have time or money to do what you are suggesting.

1 Like

I think I found the topic of my next dystopian screenplay. Jeez

You know, I really try to never reference my favorite thread from the old AO, but posts like this bring lots of memories back…

1 Like

You never had a surprise $200 bill when you were poor? I don’t buy it.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t suck. It’s exactly the kind of thing that does suck. But I don’t think it’s unaffordable for a lot of people, including a lot of minwage people.

Oh, yeah. This is going to suck for poor people in several states. You are the one that brought up the cost of traveling from Houston to El Paso as being exorbitant. I am merely providing solutions to lower the cost, since I cannot change the Supreme Court, much as I’d like to.
Smuggling in pills would be much more cost-effective.

listened to a podcast where there were women performing abortions themselves. It’s not a complicated procedure and anyone can do it with some instructions and basic equipment

1 Like

Ow

1 Like

don’t need a doctor to do it safely

I did. Things like car repairs come to mind. Those surprise $200 expenses were nearly debilitating, and that was for services that were super easy and convenient. But a $600 expense for a medical procedure on top of all of that could have sent my spiraling and could have taken me months or even more than a year to recover from.

1 Like

Number two!?!?

So would be setting up rogue abortion clinics. Doesn’t make it practical, legal, or feasible.

if it’s so easy to do your own abortion, why did women die doing it?

1 Like

That might be a bit tough for 16 year old who did make the best decisions.

2 Likes

because they didn’t know how before. Today there is the internet and the info is available

oh, i see. well, that solves it then. we don’t need abortion clinics anymore.

Wichita is only 600 miles from Houston. But yes, Houston will be hard. 600 miles is hard. I gave the example of Corpus Christi earlier. And there’s no guarantee that Lucy’s MSP showing Kansas is not a “likely illegal” state is accurate either - I already mentioned that surprised me.

Miami and the keys may be one of the more difficult places if it stays legal in Kansas though. Key West to Charlotte is almost 900 miles although there are smaller NC towns slightly closer.

Abortion is now legal in Mexico (somewhat recently, I believe) but from what I’m reading it’s still really hard to come by, otherwise Mexico would be an option for some. Maybe down the road it will be a more viable option. And while I’d probably prefer Kansas or North Carolina to Mexico for basically any medical procedure, I’m guessing that both the proximity and the cost will make Mexico attractive for lower income Texans and Louisianans if and when the availability rises to meet the demand.

I assume that folks near the Canadian border will cross into Canada for abortions too.

Are states actually making abortion a capital crime? :yikes:

That’d be pretty crazy, if in some states something considered a capital crime is straight up legal in other states.

Just make sure whatever DIY abortion video you’re using has 4+ stars on Yelp.

1 Like

i know you’re joking but that’s probably true