Long hours

yeah, someone not getting their pension because the plan is now insolvent is not an emergency at all. let the old people starve. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

so everyone agrees. no one knows show much anyone is actually working when WFH

1 Like

We know if your work gets done

1 Like

great! then we’re all on the same page. If work = done, work hours = meaningless

This thread is meaningless

It made you agree that no one cares about work hours :heart: so it’s doing something!

I still would never want to work with a person who brags about working 5 hours a week

good! I don’t think you ever will! You’re free to work with people who enjoy 40 hours of work a week~

They’re probably not very productive though

Not an investment bank but I’m waving from my 35-hour work week.

Not that I was ever counting the hours.

2 Likes

So you’re saying that more hours does actually mean more productivity?

So let’s say you just stopped going to work on Fridays, then you might actually get more work done throughout the week.

Might be worthwhile to make the distinction between “time in the office”, “time spent actively working”, “time spent ‘noodling stuff’”, “time spent ‘networking’”, “time spent doing wkw*”.

I might be in the office for 8 hours, only 2.5 hours might be “actively working”, 1.5 hours “noodling”, and the remaining time distributed to other buckets.

I don’t think the “study” is necessarily applicable to the “time in office” total so much as one or more of the other buckets.

*wkw = who knows what (including, but not limited to, (unnecessary) meetings, admin stuff, and other shenanigans)

1 Like

Most of my deadlines in consulting were set by clients, or the IRS, or some other government entity. Pretty much none were arbitrarily set by my own company to increase stress to get more work out of me.

Will anyone die if benefit calculations are late? No, but someone might not get their pension when they need it, and that could be financially devastating for them personally. These are people who are very personally impacted, not some line on a P&L. Real people do matter.

1 Like

I’m part way through a couple of months of long hours. They’re caused by a need to meet specific regulatory deadlines, but earlier competing demands eroding the capacity to meet those deadlines without long hours.

Since some of those competing demands were not work-related, and were accommodated…I’m not complaining. It’s just the nature of the job.

It’s obnoxious that @Mountainhawk made such a general statement about actuarial work. maybe her actuarial work doesn’t need to get done. but sure, lets just skip 10 years of doing actuarial valuations and government forms cause we just don’t feel liked doing it :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

yes but huge diminished returns for each extra hour. But what does each extra hour cost the company?

1 Like

Those regulatory deadlines are also just made up, though. That’s kind of my point. I have a ton of work that has to meet arbitrary deadlines that have no physical necessity.

so, there is no necessity to produce valuations at all? why do any of us have a job in that case?

1 Like

How many of us would have jobs at all if those arbitrary deadlines didn’t exist?

We should have jobs because we add value to society, not because we jump through regulatory hoops. Should valuations, reserve analysis, et all happen? Of course. Do they need to be by February 28th for every single company, every single year, even if the appointed actuary’s husband/child/brother dies or some other mental health crisis occurs on February 10th? No. I think there should be room for more humane treatment of employees without arbitrary deadlines.