Last Week Tonight

Plenty of blame to go around for those atrocities. We bombed the crap out of Cambodia, killing tons of people, creating the conditions that allowed Khmer Rouge to seize power and Pol Pot to do his insanity. None of that happens without our involvement imo.

Nixon is probably more at fault than Kissinger, but he didn’t push back too hard, then went full steam ahead with our secret bombing campaign.

Then there’s all the Chile and Argentina stuff.

If any of this is news to you I’d say read up on it.

Bump for LWTwJO news:

3 Likes

How could it not have won with all the promotion he gave it? If I was a New Zealander I would be screaming “foreign interference in our election”!

3 Likes

They could have elected to only allow votes from New Zealand, yet they chose to allow international voting.

They got what they asked for… an internationally famous puking bird

2 Likes

Do note that it is a stupid competition to begin with.
But, apparently there are only 1000 of them left on this globe. You’d think instead of whinging about it they’d embrace it and thank J.O. for letting the world know about this tragedy.
But, yeah, if it goes extinct, I don’t think anyone will miss it.

pooooo-teckay-teckay!!

I am saddened that they never finished the Banana Statue story. As last we heard, JO had a counter offer for the Australian owners that was never mentioned again.

1 Like

Did you end up watching his coverage? I considered it pretty appropriate. It felt like he neither blamed Israel nor Palestine, but obviously condemned Hamas and extreme actions by Israel and its hardline government.

In my view he was basically saying, “If we don’t approach this from an empathy-first perspective then we can’t have a serious conversation about it.”

Admittedly it’s been a week since I caught it halfway while making lunch. Might watch it again.

1 Like

I would agree.

I think it was good that he also gave some historical background as many viewers may be unaware of that.

1 Like

I expect John Oliver will be doing a scathing item in the near future on this disclosure!

1 Like

Henry Kissenger has died.

You just know that JO is going to go antisemitic apesh!t over this.

1 Like

Bump for the new season!
First up: Offering Clarence Thomas, a recipient of many a gift from people happy with his voting, $1 Million per year for the rest of his life or John’s, whichever comes first. PLUS, a giant-ass RV, oh, wait, Motor Coach worth $2 Million.

JO said he was on the hook for it. So, I’m guessing he has incurable cancer (?).

3 Likes

Hoping it is just because he can afford to do it.

I haven’t reviewed the SCOTUS code of conduct again since it was released, but I’m pretty positive it would be clearly unethical to take the money to step down.

But if that’s true, I’m confused why Thomas hasn’t taken the offer?

3 Likes

I think Thomas is waiting for his actuarial report to come back on his life expectancy so he can negotiate a lump sum payment in lieu of the life annuity. The actuary also has to determine the expected value of future cruises, etc., from conservative billionaires for comparison purposes.

3 Likes

Call JG Wentworth.

JO pointed out that some of the code of conduct stuff that applies to federal judges specifically excludes the justices on the SC.

The best part of the night was JO clearly implying to CT that if the people who have been gifting you millions of dollars are really your friends, then they will still gift you millions of additional dollars if you step down. If they don’t continue, it’s proof that you are just being bribed for the power you currently hold.

1 Like

SCOTUS not long ago released their own specific code of conduct after it was pointed out they had none, in the wake of discovering all the bribes peer to peer favors given to Thomas.

There is no mechanism of enforcement.

What incentive does CT have to attempt to disprove this theory? Are the taxpayers interested in promising to make up the difference in order to incentivize him to do so?

Thomas has thirty days to make his decision. That gives him time to have the numbers crunched. I am sure JO will be reminding him about this on his next four shows.

1 Like

Another good main story about “Pig Slaughtering,” which is a euphemism for “stealing people’s money on the internet.”
Putting out feelers on people by doing research on their social media accounts, becoming their virtual friend, getting them to invest in bitcoins on websites designed by Chinese gangsters (and not actual bitcoin websites, if there actually exists such a thing), then voila! sorry you lose.
Because people, especially Americans, are gullible, since the dawn of the nation.
And a similarly sad fact: the people doing the calling are people essentially imprisoned by the Chinese gangsters to do it, or else.
First story was about book banning and/or burning, with some shitty mom running for office with a flame thrower burning books and then promising to burn even more books if elected. Combined with old ladies reading books out loud just to prove that the books are filth. Just remember: it is perfectly OK to read these excerpts of these books out loud in a public forum where children might be present, but in no way, shape, or form should these books be available for children to read. Got it.

1 Like