Last movie you've watched

It was fun enough, though I vastly preferred Knives Out. And the conclusion was decidedly meh.

Spoiler

So it’s OK to willfully destroy a priceless cultural artifact treasured by millions if you’re angry and it will upset/embarrass a criminal?

yet, no one will ever know, and admire a replica. Want to bet how many artifacts aren’t the original?

All The President’s Men (1976)
Not sure why I didn’t ever notice before, but wow, the finish is pretty hurry-up: showing Nixon inauguration, then showing all the guilty verdicts in now-old-timey clickety-clacking over the next year and a half, culminating in Nixon’s resignation.
Gotta try borrowing that book from someone. My family library doesn’t have it (though it does have “The Final Days” and “Blind Ambition”). Local library doesn’t have it.

Well, the story was Woodward and Bernstein. Their work was pretty much finished at the end of the movie. I thought the end was quite effective.

The perfect follow up movie would be Dick.

I didn’t remember that being Will Ferrell

I went on Netflix and saw Enola Holmes, so I clicked on it, wondering if it was Enola Holmes 2 or could get me there. It was the first one, but once it started, I just ended up watching the first one again. Millie Bobby Brown really is just about perfect for the style of movie - handling both the serious parts and the more tongue in cheek breaking of the 3rd wall parts well.

Something from Tiffanys Amazon - A holiday rom-com of sorts but a bit better than most. It doesn’t fully rely on the standard tropes, so I enjoyed it.

Everything Everywhere All At Once Showtime - I think Michelle Yeoh should be considered for a best actress nomination. She was really good in this movie. The movie itself is a wild ride through the multiverse, or is just on woman’s attempts to come to terms with how her life has gotten her to this point? I don’t know.

About Fate Amazon - Emma Roberts in a movie about how fate drives our lives. Two couples are having dinner at a Bennigans and each may or may not be proposing. The couples end the night angry with each other and Emma meets the other guy outside the restaurant. This starts a cascade of fateful events.

7 Women and a Murder Netflix - An Italian murder mystery of the Agatha Christie type. There are 7 women (duh) at a mansion and the man of the house is found dead in the morning. Did one of these women murder him? Why? The story of each woman’s relationship to the dead man unfold during a snowstorm that keeps them trapped at the mansion. Not that great, but a nice diversion.

Roald Dahl’s Matilda: The Musical Netflix - The standard Matilda story with singing and dancing. Pretty entertaining, but they couldn’t include all of the scenes from the previous version. Still worth the watch.

The Fablemens Amazon - This is supposed to be an autobiographical story about Steven Spielberg. It is almost presented as a fairy tale of sorts. I really enjoyed it and I can see why it is one of the front runners in the Oscar race. Michelle Williams kills it again as usual.

Sniper:Rogue Mission Netflix - Crooked cops, sex trafficking, the world’s best sniper, just what B movie needs and it was perfect for what it was.

Amsterdam HBO - I wanted this to be a great movie but it was pretty muddled throughout. A bit disappointing, but Christian Bale was wonderful.

paid for it?

Yes, $20 I think. Cheaper than the theater at least. Unless we did $5 Tuesdays.

I watched Enola Holmes 2. I’d have done better to not have watched the first one the night before. The second pales in comparison. There is far far far too much breaking of the 3rd wall. When it’s done, there’s more mugging done, which makes it even worse. Because of all the mugging, MBB isn’t very good in this one, imo. The plot was weaker and it had more things that just didn’t make sense.

Rewatched “Knives Out,” as it was on TNT.
To me, it seems a little better of a whodunit than “Glass Onion,” which seemed to be more of a comedy with obviously loud clues.

Uh, fourth wall?

Yeah. I miscounted.

I watched a couple Bake Shop mysteries on Hallmark over the weekend since my subscription expires today.

Avatar 2: The one with the water Ok I liked this movie. I paid extra to see it in 3D. But it is too damn long. Almost 4 hours if you are there for the previews and watch the credits for any shawarma scenes (there aren’t any). There’s a planet and some blue people living on it. The humans left the planet but sure enough come back just to be one dimensionally evil aholes (1DEA). Carmella Soprano was their leader, but somehow they cloned some humans into blue people bodies and implanted their human memories using computer chips, and then they go after a blue guy they didn’t like very much. These 1DEAs go around destroying the blue peoples stuff and threatening their lives. That chases the blue people family to another spot with some other greenish people that live by the ocean instead of in the forest. For a while there’s some tension between the blues and the greens, especially amongst the teenagers in the groups. There’s a bunch of 4 eyed whales that the green people are friends with. Did I mention how body non-positive the blue and green people are? They’re all super tall, super thin, muscular and have like 0.1% body fat. The movie was like a 3 hour body shaming. Maybe that’s why the humans dislike them so much. Mrs. Soprano has collected a little junk in the trunk from years of pasta abuse. Also, despite all the blue and green people being basically naked, you never see any naughty bits. How did they manage that for 3 hours? Sigourney Weaver plays her own kid, but that miracle is left pretty much unexplained. Anyway, the last hour of the movie is a big battle scene between the whites with military ships and guns against the blues & greens with their whales and swimming horses and spears and bows and arrows. Not everybody lives. Just be warned. The bad guy does live, which is a little weird, because they can just keep making more copies of him Hell, they could just make a whole platoon of just him. But whatever. This leaves the cave door wide fricken open for Avatar 3: Yet Even More Anorexic Blue People

The Pale Blue Eye (Netflix) a detective story about some grisly murders at a military academy where one of the characters is a young Edgar Allen Poe who assists the detective. A bit slow moving but pretty engaging with some twists.

Maybe it was filmed in triangular rooms with great painting/filming to make it look rectangular?

1 Like

“The Banshees of Inishirin”

I get it. I’ve had friends that I eventually discovered were dull (or some other negative quality) over time, and ghosted them. Usually gf’s though.

It might be noted that Poe was at the West Point when some serious shenanigans went down. He wasn’t successful in getting the green light to publish much of the research he did on the shenanigans.

IIRC, The Cask of Amontillado was based on some of the things he found or suspected took place.