Last movie you've watched

Fun fact:

Summary

Poe is played by Harry Potter’s cousin.

Yeah, I recognized that actor in the description.

I wanted to see if vjvj really meant breaking the 3rd wall:

“The “third wall” is the “barrier” that we say prevents the characters in a movie, TV show or play from knowing that they are, indeed, fictional characters. Breaking the third wall means that they learn and/or acknowledge they they realize they’re characters, at which point the story has to shift in at least some fashion to deal with characters that know that they’re fictional characters.”

Like Moriarty in Star Trek: The Next Generation!

Or Cyrus Redblock.

White Noise

Did not enjoy it, other than the end credits

The Menu.

Ehhhh…meh.

Saw that, too. Except for Anya, I guess I was supposed to be shocked or something? Maybe watching movies at home is not optimal.

The Pale Blue Eye. Pretty good. As, YT mentioned, it’s slow, but I kind of appreciate that in a movie.

Dolores Claiborne (1995)
Predictable, I thought.

“But I’m a Cheerleader” (1999)
Fun rewatch, and I appreciate all of the stereotypes being mocked, but it doesn’t hold up all that well.

Amsterdam - overall a fun ride even if it was a bit muddled and could have tightened up the plot.

A Man Called Otto at the theater. If ever there was a movie crying not to be remade, this was it. The book was great as well as the original movie. Why make it again in English. Well, if you have to, at least pick someone for Otto (Ove) that everyone can root for like Tom Hanks. All that being said, I really enjoyed this remake. Highly recommended. They did a solid job. And the woman who played Marisol (Mariana Treviño) was wonderful and stole every scene she was in. Bring the tissues to this one.

I’ll disagree. Loved the original and book as well. But it is a universal story, that unfortunatetly would otherwise not be accessible. or at least accessed by most Americans.

Haven’t seen it yet, but will

this. I have 2 free movie tickets and $50 in gift certificates to Red Robin. Now all I need is a date!

It always annoys me because the English remake is hyped but is almost never as good as the original. I’m generally inclined to stay away from the remakes for that reason, but Tom Hanks will get me to watch it.

1 Like

I feel the remakes are for those who would not watch the foreign original

This got me thinking about whether I could think of an exception, but it dawned on me that if the original wasn’t excellent, they wouldn’t have bothered with the remake and that might be why the remakes aren’t as good - you’re always comparing against something that is excellent.

1 Like

Perhaps also remakes are done because the original was done so poorly. Dune appears to be an example just based on what I’ve read. Never watched the original myself.

There are a lot of reasons for remakes.

1. It’s much easier to rework an existing script that was already successful than to come up with an entirely original script.
  2. The original was bad but the material still has a large following (often with books like the aforementioned Dune).
  3. It is a foreign language film being done entirely in a new language rather than subtitled or dubbed.
  4. Lazy
  5. Money grab.
  6. Dunno there are probably a few more.

good point about why remake a bad movie

so many remakes even from English to English

What Price Hollywood (1932); A Star Is Born (1937); 1954 (1st Musical); 1976; 2018 - as an example

La Cage Au Folles > The Birdcage
Let The Right One In > Let Me In > book (surprisingly)
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo = Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Seven Samurai > The Magnificent Seven (1960) >>>>> 2016
The Intouchables >> The Upside
Ringu >> The Ring
Gloria = Gloria Bell
Oldboy >> Oldboy
Yojimbo = Fistful Of Dollars
The Blue Angel = The Blue Angel
Plein Soleil > The Talented Mr Ripley (more of a book adaptation than a movie remake)
Infernal Affairs < The Departed
Fanny = Fanny

I feel all the remakes have merit

and Ignoring classic literature, like Les Miserable, Anna Karenina, Shakespeare

1 Like