Last movie you've watched

My orphan obsessed 6 year old:

‘Papa, how about ‘orphan, first kill’.’

‘I don’t know, that sounds like it’s about killing.’

‘but do you think it has an orphan?’

‘I don’t know. What was the ad?’

'it had a picture of a little girl, with lots of blood on one cheek, and a cut on her other cheek".

Oh, uh. Let’s watch Annie."

'What’s that?"

‘Don’t worry you’ll like it.’

1999 Annie btw, was fine.

They make the billionaire marry his -black- secretary, which I guess was “Woke” in 1999, but otherwise leave the story/music as is, which is fine?

The good news is they keep all the magic of orphan Annie and Headmistress villain highjinx. The bad news is crappy music, obsession with Broadway, and totally boring rich guy who’s love for Annie is entirely unconvincing.

Morbius- very forgettable but not as bad as I was expecting from the critic reviews.

the Professor and the Mad Man - with Mel Gibson, Sean Penn and Natalie Dormer. Very well acted and oddly moving story about the Oxford English dictionary and and the people responsible for getting it off the ground.

Bros, watched in theaters. Haven’t seen such a funny movie in a while.

2022 The Outfit on Amazon Prime
Mark Rylance, Zoey Deutch
Suspense as a man and woman avoid getting caught up in the mob. Set in late 50’s Chicago.
Pretty good.

Four from Amazon:

January Man This is from 1989 with a really good cast. Kevin Kline, Susan Sarandon, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Danny Aiello, Harvey Keitel, Rod Steiger and Alan Rickman. Kline is disgraced cop who lost his job and works as a firefighter. They need him back when a serial killer hits NYC. Well acted and a solid thriller.

Life in Color The quip from IMDB says it all “Two depressed loners stuck house sitting together have 3 weeks to turn their lives around.” I liked this one a lot but if indies are not your thing, I’d suggest staying away.

Barney Thompson Barney is a barber in the UK and accidentally kills someone. There is also a serial killer in the area. The plots intersect in a very weird and funny way. Emma Thompson is almost unrecognizable as his mom.

Memory The latest from Lima Neeson. He is a professional hit man and he has the beginning signs of dementia. He is taking medication and he needs to write a lot of things down on his arm. He is contracted to kill two people. The second is a young girl, maybe 13. He can’t do the second part of the hit and leaves her alive. The baddies then come for him as well as the FBI and local police. Pretty entertaining and heartbreaking at the same time.

I went to imdb to look up Life in Color and after the preview played, it played an entire short, I Killed Zoe Day. I never had imdb play entire shorts before. It’s about 17 minutes (plus 3 more in credits, lol). Two friends wake up in the apartment of famous pop singer Zoe Day and don’t remember how they got there. Then they find Zoe Day’s dead body in the apartment. OK for a 17 minute movie.

That’s nice but not the movie I watched.

=snort!=

Yep, but it is the movie I watched.

I guess because he’s bean there and done that sort of movie before?

1 Like

Two movies about American icons during my plane ride yesterday: Elvis and 42 (Jackie Robinson). Both were excellent.

Everything Everywhere All at Once (Netflix Disc) What would happen if Terry Gilliam was Asian. Don’t work to hard to understand it, just go along for the ride

Thor: Love and Thunder (Disney+) Entertaining. The only thing that I didn’t care for was Zeus

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (Disney+) All a better entry into the MCU. Always afraid I will get too confused by these, but I felt it worked well

I’ve been on the waiting list for this one at the library for quite a while. It must be popular.

hugely, especially with the SciFi and nerd crowd

very well made.

Finally saw Top Gun: Maverick on Apple TV. I don’t remember ever seeing the original, but I know enough about it including a lot of the characters so I was able to follow this one just fine. It was frankly an awesome movie. The story was strong, the acting good and the action scenes were great.

1 Like

One character in Maverick was only mentioned (briefly) in the first movie: Penny Benjamin

The Good House at the theater starring Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline. It is set in a fictional town on the north shore of Boston, so you get a couple “wickeds” thrown in for good measure. Based on the trailer I watched a month or two ago, this looked to be a rom-com of sorts, albeit with a touch of alcoholism by Weaver’s character. Turns out is a family drama type movie all about alcoholism and how it is affecting the main character’s life, job and family. I thought it was very well done. Every time she got in her car drunk, I half expected to see it wrapped around a phone pole or her in jail, but it usually resulted in blackout periods.

Dinner in America on Hulu. Stars Kyle Gallner (Veronica Mars fame) as a punk rocker who sells drugs and has a penchant for starting fires. He meets Emily Skeggs’ character Patty, a young woman who appears to have some mild cognitive issues and is on a bit of medication. Hard to describe the movie, but it has a pretty cool vibe and really enjoyed it, nut it is pretty weird. You get a cameo for Lea Thompson and a bigger role for Griffin Gluck (Locke and Key).