Last movie you've watched

The Man From Toronto - over the top with one absurd situation following the next but the wife and I found it hilarious.

Bullet Train: I liked it. Letā€™s call it * * * * out of 5 Stars. Itā€™s a violent story about criminal, underworld, assasin types ~a la Quentin Tarrantino, and/or Guy Ritchie~ with a very interwoven plot that brings all the characters together at one time and place. And hey, itā€™s Brad Pitt being Brad Pitt, although most of the rest of the cast are not big names (except a surprise cameo at the end) If you liked those types of movies, I think you will like BT.

The Lost City with Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum. It was entertaining. Basically an updated Romancing the Stone. Daniel Radcliffe was fine as the villain and Brad Pitt was good in his brief role. Cast seemed to be having fun with it.

The Martian ā€“ The Mrs. and I loved this movie. Very ā€œsci-fiā€ with a huge dollop of the sci. By-and-large, very believable; very well written (apparently, very close to the book). Itā€™s Castaway meets Apollo 13 . . . and Matt Damon rocks the role; love his little video-diary entries (vblog entries?) as a great way to convey what the character is thinking w/o detracting from the flow of the story.

1 Like

Thirteen Lives

Excellent movie and very thrilling even if you know how it ends. The high emotions are captured perfectly. Thank you Ron Howard!

One where it was great to have the pause button so we could compose ourselves and not miss something because we were laughing so hard.

2 Likes

Strangely enough I had not heard of this movie despite being A Man From Toronto myself.

3 Likes

Finally watched Tenet. Missed it when it came out because Covid. It was fā€™ing incredible. Need to watch it a couple more times to see some of the stuff I missed. Love the interesting time travel stuff and this was a fresh take and really well done.

1 Like

Also saw Coherence on I think Amazon Prime. It started kind of slow but got very interesting when they started introducing some multiverse stuff. Another one that might be worth a second viewing to make sense of some of the stuff in the beginning that will make more sense after seeing the ending.

Love that one! Have watched it multiple times myself. Might be about due for another round.

Son and I just watched In Time. Normally I donā€™t like movies that glorify stealing, but this one is rather meta in how it deals with the concepts of ownership, bodily autonomy, situational inequities, etc. Entertaining.

Iā€™ll check it out. Thanks

Am rewatching Apocalypse Now but on a small screen. It is great even on an iPad but the iPad experience canā€™t begin to compete with a theatre viewing.

I think the movie occasionally has limited theatre runs so recommend anyone who has not seen it in a theatre to try that even if you have already seen it on a tv screen. The sound of the helicopters is chilling in surround sound.

The original ending or the redone one?

I think there are actually more than 2 versions. Was there one with a different ending? I know there are extended versions with more scenes but the same ending.

I think the original is the best film of all time.

The extended versions drag on way too long, especially that long dinner scene talking about the French in Vietnam.

Seeing it in a theater is good, especially to have big surround sound with the helicopters and the Wagner. And Duval begging for his surfboard back is surrealistically funny. Duval is great. Hopper is great. Brando was a nut job but the way Coppola used him was perfection. The tiger scene was great. The whole movie is just perfect. When people nominate the Godfather as the best movie ever, I contend that it wasnā€™t nearly as good as Coppolaā€™s other magnum opus, Ap-Now.

1 Like

Even Larry Fishbourne is great.

Ah I see there are at least 3 versions according to the internet. Iā€™ve seen the original a couple times but long ago and the Redux version once but also many years ago. I preferred the original to the extended redux. I must have been confused by the length because I could have sworn the endings varied quite a bit but wiki tells me there all ā€œpretty similarā€ in the ending though length and details do vary. Maybe I just faded out at the end.

It is a redone version. I am watching it in bits so havenā€™t made it to the revised ending. I just finished the surfing scene: what a brilliant way to illustrate the insanity of the Viet Nam War and Duval was incredible!

Apocalypse Now and Pulp Fiction are two of the best movies ever made imo. Different genres, of course, but brilliant directing and content.

Rewatched Bulletproof Monk.

14 Peaks: Nothing Is Impossible (Netflix) Very narrative to the governmental machinations, with too little on the actual climbs

Samaritan (Prime) I rather liked this, though it was missing something. Good role for Stallone

Our Father (Netflix) Disturbing documentary on Dr. who used his own sperm to inseminate patients

Prey (HULU) Good Predator origin story. I like the native American setting and a female protagonist. But have been very few aliens coming to a time not ancient and not modern (or future)

The Northman (Peacock) Too much mysticism and not enough action. and a 45 yo playing 20? I didnā€™t dislike it, but he could have been better

Girl in the Picture (Netflix) True crime movie. It was ok, but not sure if I cared. And not 100% sure how they made some of the connections.

The Gray Man (Netflix) Well done and enjoyable spy film. Good guy & villain were a little too close in personality and it seemed both wanted to be Ryan Reynolds

Uncharted (Netflix) Actually better than I expected, though have seen so many like this

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (HBO Max) I liked this better than the others in the series. All in I found it easier to follow