Last movie you've watched

I read this wrong at first.

Sleuth (1972) (Youtube) I have only been posting newer releases,. But this was my white whale, a movie I wanted to watch and couldn’t find (free). It was the last entry on my IMDB 250 list from 3/2013. A list I intended to update whenever I completed it.

Seems it was put on Youtube around 7 months ago, glad I checked

Very entertaining, well paced, well acted stage play

I see where “Top Secret!” got that magnifying glass gag from.

Secret Headquarters on Paramount+. This is the latest from Owen Wilson, doing a standard Owen Wilson turn. He finds a UFO that has crashed and ends up becoming a guardian of the Earth. He has no time for his son and splits with his wife. The son and his friends happen upon his secret headquarters and the action ensues. It has a Spy Kids feel but older kids. It was a fun if uninspired watch.

I finished watching the Netflix version of Apocalypse Now and the ending didn’t appear to be substantially different from what I saw in the movie theatre 40+ years ago (but I may have forgotten some details). The movie is still the most powerful I have ever seen.

On a lighter note, watched Jurassic World Dominion on my Vancouver to Toronto flight a few days ago. Perfect airplane fare: lightweight but entertaining.

Watched “I Came By” a british thriller. a few holes in the story, things that the writers/story just didn’t fill in or explain. so it was not worth watching imo.

Jurassic World Dominion - very meh. One of the weaker films in the franchise IMO.

1 Like

Saw Three Thousand Years of Longing and Breaking at the theater over the weekend. Neither was great. 3000 years is about a genie (Idris Elba) and the woman who finds his bottle and releases him, Tilda Swinton. The movie is basically him telling sad tails of his life. There is a ton of female nudity, and I do mean a ton. One of the characters had a fetish for very large (huge) women and it showed. The second was based on a true story of an ex-marine who had a disability check recalled by the VA and he goes to a bank and threatens to blow it up if he doesn’t get the $800 back from the VA. John Boyega is the star and tries way to hard to be Denzel. Maybe he used Denzel as a model to get rid of his English accent. Who knows. Wouldn’t really recommend either.

lol . . . Heimdall is rescued by the Jadis.

Documentary on Netflix called “Perfect Bid”

So there’s a math dude (a teacher by trade, but currently works for a company that writes math testing material) that was a Price is Right superfan.

He has math aptitude, a very good memory, and programming skills. He watches (tapes) PIR ever day for years, documents the prizes, makes spreadsheets of the data, and even programs his own “quiz myself” games to help himself practice. He develops instant recall on most of the items that are used repetitively on the show, although some prizes - vacations specifically - are not easy to get exact price estimates because the content of the trips are never consistent for show appearance to show appearance. The airlines change, the hotel at the destination changes, sometimes the airfare is from LA, sometimes it is from your nearest airport, sometimes food is included, sometimes not.

He lives in California and attends many tapings. He knows all the games. Eventually, he is noticed by Bob Barker and producers as an audience member who is yelling particularly good advice to contestants. This act is allowed and encouraged to build excitement for the contestants and make for better TV. Contestants he helps end up winning showcases worth tens of thousands of dollars. They even sat him next to PIR spies to watch and see if he was using notes, a computer, phone calls, or anything to help himself. But no, he was just a walking encyclopedia with great recall.

Eventually get chosen for the program, he wins small-ish prizes, mostly because the game he gets to play is just a random number generator type game. His knowledge nets him the most possible draws (4) from the RNG, but he wins a mere $1000.

He goes on to further help another contestant, telling him the exact price of the showcase showdown, down to the dollar. The PIR staff, and Drew Carey himself at first believe that there is a conspiracy afoot that may be related to a revenge plot. There had been a long time producer who had been forced into retirement. There was fear that someone was leaking gameplans or data to get back at the remaining producers. But that wasn’t the case.

Currently, in response, PIR tries not to reuse identical items as much on the show.

Thor Love and Thunder - typical Marvel fair, not their best, not their worst.

1 Like

theater or is it streaming?

Streaming. Available now on Disney +

funny, IMDB shows where movies stream, except youtube, which i understand, and Disney, which i don’t

My Just Watch app shows it on Disney.

Jurassic World: Dominion (Peacock)

oh, wow, looks it’s … A lot of that.

decent action, but how many times will you not see, hear, feel, smell a multi ton animal until a light hits it?

Some of the alternative universe just seemed silly.

Dialogue was not totally cringe worthy. so that helps.

I had to google some of the main plot line to remember what it was all about.

Also, i read both books, so some of what has happened was a bit conflated to me

hopefully this is the final statement on the series

Watched Thor:Love and Thunder as well. Entertaining as usual. I think I like the vibe of the Thor movies better than the others. Maybe the humor comes through better because Hemsworth is great in the role. Liked Christian Bale in this too. He’s always just a touch creepier than he needs to be and I like it.

Moonfall (HBO Max)

Was exactly what i expected.
Stupid fun popcorn movie.

Eyes Wide Shut (uncut Netflix version).

Did not see it when it first came out but it had some good reviews then. I found it meh.

It has a simple plot. The husband gets upset when wife tells him she fantasizes about other men; they eventually reconcile. Overrated imo. Good performances by Kidman and Cruise though.

I don’t recall the good reviews. Sure, it’s well-shot. Kubrick after all. Needed to teach Tom how to be straight and intimate with his own wife, then Kubrick dies and someone else has to finish the editing.

Do they reconcile? Seems to me they would have had a lot of therapy sessions in the sequel (searching for a fun title…).