Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard

Or possibly he gets off on hurting her.

The problem with all the testimony mentioned above is that there were other witnesses testifying the exact opposite. Even the sister’s story included a bit where she got in between the two as they were fighting and mentioned that she was facing Amber, i.e., she was holding Amber back from hitting Depp, not the other way around. Amber herself confirmed she hit Depp during that incident.

It seems pretty likely that both hit the other over the course of that relationship.

1 Like

yup. no sympathy for abusers.

the jury agreed and punished them both accordingly. case closed.

That and you can physically hurt someone without “hitting” them. I’ve been grabbed by the arm hard enough that it left a bruise.

I agree Depp played a part in the whole clusterfuck. Take a brilliant right-brained person, mix in childhood trauma and drug/alcohol abuse and I’ve no doubt he’s a mess - and drawn to the Amber Heard type: also abusive in both the physical and psychological sense - and opportunistic at the same time.

Idk man - from what little I saw, I thought the verdict made sense. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Depp may have won the bigger settlement but I have to think he is tarnished career-wise. Can’t see either him or Heard being nearly as successful in the future as they once were. Both are losers in this trial.

You seem to understand everything about Heard and Depp more than most. Depp is drawn to abusers since he’s been abused. He did a lot of self harm during the relationship and he acted out irrationally and said some extreme things while reacting to his abuse. Neither of them are good; it’s wrong for people to look up to Depp or Heard.

Heard was the catalyst to these problems and lied about it and she has borderline personality disorder. I really hope they both seek help.

They both can seek help and announce how much they progressed. I doubt that will happen. They’re both too stubborn

not a bunch of actuaries trying to play psychologist on the internet

How does $15 million dollars make sense?

Basic psychology

nah

Whereas i think both verdicts are bullshit. If they each hit the other, how is it defamation to say so? They weren’t in trial for abuse, they were in court accused of defaming each other.

1 Like

I’m not claiming to be an expert on their particular situation - I took the verdict message as: “You are both fucked up and said shit that was harmful about the other but Heard is 7 times worse than Depp.”

And that was pretty much my takeaway as well.

:woman_shrugging:

What Heard did might be worse than what Depp did. But what she actually said in print, which was the subject of the trial, was rather mild. And appears to have been entirely true. So it seems really fucked up that she’s been found guilty of defamation on account of having said it.

If this had been a pair of abuse trials i might feel differently. But it wasn’t. They were both defamation trials.

1 Like

Why? This crap has played out before. Didn’t ruin Clint Eastwood’s career.

Idk. Reactive abuse is what she seemed best at. It seemed to me like she intentionally provoked abusive situations so that she could leverage them for herself. Doesn’t excuse Depp’s behavior but for her to then claim that she was solely a victim while assuming her role as a perpetrator would be ignored, is why I thought she was much more guilty of defamation than he was.

Just my two cents. I’m sure I missed a lot.

I’m sure the jury has considered this. They’re not dumb.

What are you basing that assertion on?

2 Likes

This is why I am guessing it will get turned over on appeal.

Also I think Heard’s defamation claim was that Depp defamed her by having his lawyer (for which he is apparently legally liable) claim that she was making up the abuse claims.

Which also seems true. But I might be misunderstanding the nature of Heard’s countersuit.

But I thought she wasn’t even denying (in her countersuit) that she hit him or did other things that constitute abuse. Just that she didn’t lie.