Is Long John Silvers a money laundering scheme or something

I have seen the commercials, and even the buildings. I have yet to actually see anyone go in one. Or come out of one. I look through the windows and it doesn’t even look like anyone’s there.

Is this place legit?

1 Like

I have that feels about mattress stores.

3 Likes

LJS has been around a looonnnnggg time. Its legit.

Fazoli’s on the other hand, must be a money laundering operation. I tried it once for lunch. No one in there and the cheapest worst “Italian” food I’ve ever had. Chef Boyardee is better. I almost never see more cars than needed by crew in any Fazoli’s parking lot.

2 Likes

Are millennials killing these chains??? BRB, writing a shitty news article to this effect.

9 Likes

I ate at Fazoli’s once. It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience.

LJS, though? Might be a Midwest thing. I think all the stores in my state have closed, though. It is a definite guilty pleasure in the same way White Castle is for Mrs. H. - you’re not doing that every day, but every so often you say to yourself I gotta have a couple pieces of deep fried fish, a piece of chicken and some hush puppies and I don’t care how greasy it is, it’s :yum:.

2 Likes

There are some LJS left in Kansas, none in my city. I will absolutely eat there, despite the fact that it’s probably the least healthy thing you could possibly eat. They’d probably deep fry soda if it were possible.

Obligatory:

3 Likes

Oh man…I’ve forgotten why this is relevant. But I remember it was a thing.

Slow day at work?

Same. It’s sooo awful for you but soooo good!! :joy:

Their recipes have changed over the years though. When I was a kid, their cole slaw was the absolute best. I’ve never been able to find it or duplicate it. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Have you been to Chicken Annie’s in Pittsburg? Their German cole slaw is crack.

1 Like

What about captain d’s? Isn’t it basically the same menu?

Planet Money did a ten minute thing on mattress stores.

3 Likes

I thought there was a thread at the AO about Mattress Firm being all over the place and someone had a photo of 3 of them at an intersection and another with 2 basically side by side in a strip mall and a 3rd really close by

I ate at an LJS in CA ages ago. None near me now. I have a Fazoli’s near by and I thought avout going but never have. Fazoli’s even has a drive through!

It’s been ages. I’ll have to check it out!

1 Like

That’s amusing. Checking google it looks like they are down to around? 2,200 stores now from the peak of 3,500. Though I think they took a hit from COVID.

The international corporation that bought Mattress Firm in 2018 was scrutinized for overpaying. They apparently had been pulling shenanigans for years.

And then 6 years later… literally 2 weeks ago… The CEO who made the purchase was due to be arrested. Instead he committed suicide.

1 Like

Oh my, I missed this very sad update.

1 Like

wait it still exists?

I totally forgot about them, there was one near me growing up but it closed like 20 years ago. Their website says they are still very much in business and there are locations near me in KC.

I’ll ask my doc for a prescription for Lipitor or whatever and hit this and LJS sometime.

2 Likes

Fazoli’s isn’t that bad, really. I actually like it. But I also really like spaghetti o’s and chef boyardee.

1 Like