iPhones

Whatever my iphone was doing last week to drain the batter seems like it stopped. I still hate using it.

The text editor on it is just awful.
Apple brand apps are all terrible.
The notch at the top for the camera is just embarrassing for a premium design.
The buttons on the home screen that you can’t disable are infuriating.
It looks practically the same as the phone I had back in 2017.
Having how to look online how to do basic things because they refuse to use standard buttons just makes the user experience miserable.

My first smartphone was an iPhone. I switched to a Samsung as it was waterproof, had a replaceable batter, and memory card expansion. It made so much more sense to me at the time.

What Apple does more broadly with their product ecosystem is just evil, especially with their messaging app and how they attempt to exclude/shame non-iPhone users through shit compatibility. You know you are losing the game if your strategy is to hook in 12 year olds by making it embarrassing to using something else because you can’t send emojis outside of iMessages.

Was it the EU that forced them to finally use a standard USB cable? Even using other charging blocks was an unnecessary nightmare.

Apple TV? iTunes? None of it works with anything else, at least not the way it should.

/rant

They don’t want it to work with anything else. They are not trying to make the world a better place. They are trying to make the most money. They’ve done this since they started making macs.
It is why I do not support Apple products (besides my iPod, in which I already had iTunes with the songs I want on my PC). My wife, though insists on them.

Yes, I understand their motive.

They also lost me early on with iTunes. I had a decent number of totally legit MP3s from my college days when Napster was popular (there is a name you havent thought about in a while)…when I grew up and had a real job, I thought I would try buying a few on iTunes. OMG WHY IS IT SO EFFING HARD TO GET THIS ON SOMETHING I CAN USE IN MY CAR. It plays MP3s, not MP4s or whatever their stupid proprietary format was at the time. Burn to a CD, rip from a CD to MP3, copy back to USB. I am sure there was an easier way, but probably involved buying another program to use the stupid thing I just bought for 99 cents.

Also annoying - why can’t I get Apple TV on my android? I bought a subscription, I am traveling, I’m at an AirBnB, your iphone sucks and I just want to watch my subscription on my larger android. Nope, can’t do that either. I guess I can stare at the stupid notch for the next hour.

Actual Apple TV - the remote? It challenges my Roku TV remote for shoving as many remote functions into as few buttons as possible. Want to go from channel 3 to 87? Scroll, scroll, scroll. You also need another special apple cable to charge the remote, and since they made it as “sleek” as possible, it’s just that much more fun to find when it gets lost. Great idea Apple.

I’m undoubtedly not doing several of these things the “right way”. And yes, I sound like some crotchety elderly technology user. It’s like Star Wars - I’m not getting what all the cult enthusiasts like about it, I think it sucks.

DTNF - I’m pretty sure apple can be blamed for touchscreen controls in cars.

But imagine how much worse it could be if they designed the interface. Wipers on? Gotta use the bank of your hands and swipe right… not left, that will turn on the hazards. Three fingers to pull down the hidden menu to access AC controls. Or just argue with Siri on what to do next.

I just burned the CDs i wanted to iTunes. No purchase necessary. If it were, i wouldn’t have bothered.

1 Like