Insurers suspend writing certain Hyundai and Kia models

Continuing the discussion from Insurers suspend writing new business for certain cars:

Not sure how many people have seen this in the P&C thread. Figured it would get more traction maybe in here.

A friend said they got a notice their company will not renew their coverage when it comes up for renewal in May.

1 Like

Do you know which carrier?

My state has one of the AG’s that signed but these articles are the first I’m hearing about it. Need to do some followup with claims folks…

There was a recent discussion on Reddit that claimed The Hartford isn’t accepting renewals for Hyundais and Kias.

(There have been a couple of posts in /r/insurance on the subject; the claim about Hartford is hound in the comments here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Insurance/comments/114ultf/allstate_is_no_longer_insuring_20112021_hyundai/)

Not sure his specifically, I might find out. But CNN says State Farm and Progressive.

I hate USA Today but here is a link if it works saying 23 state AG’s sent a letter to Hyudai and Kia to fix the problem.

1 Like

Also, something related to keep an eye out on:

Memphis has been having an extreme problem recently with thefts from vehicles (the usual explanation is gangs looking for guns stored in glove boxes and center consoles).

A recent video of one such theft has gone viral, and it appears to show the robbers using a tablet to unlock the target vehicle, raising speculation that they’ve figured out how to spoof remote locking and remote starters.

If that speculation is true, and the practice spreads…

There is a tictok kia theft challenge that shows how to easily steal a Kia or Hyundai.

When people ask me, “Why are you looking at Toyotas/Hondas when Kia/Hyundai offer the same types of car for thousands less?” I have another answer for them.

Question I have is, “How long until thieves figure out how to steal other companies’ cars?”
And, “Can I just get a physical key that goes in a keyhole like my current car?”

1 Like

i read somewhere the issue was in Kia/Hyundais that used a key. the push button versions were fine. But the models with key fob for locks and traditional key ignition were the vulnerable models. unless i read it wrong.

i have 2 old kias - no key fob lock, just old school key. they should be fine. I have 2 newer Kia/Hyundais. both use push button for ignition - they should be fine. based on what i read

It’s called total cost of ownership. I don’t yet have confidence in Hyundai/Kia. They don’t seem to be as reliable as Honda/Toyota yet, and the anecdotal stories I’ve heard suggests that if you need repairs, the dealers suck.

Buy quality, cry once.

I cannot remember the last time I went to dealer for anything other than a free “recall issue.” My local guy can do it all. Now, that is with my current 20-years-old car, so maybe there is some dealer-exclusive computer issues.

I was thinking of getting warranty work done. I’ve heard some owners gripe that it’s a PITA to work with a Kia dealer for warranty work, and you can’t really take that to a third party.

Um, I mean, it’s nice that warranty work gets done, but I don’t recall any of my three me-majority-driving cars requiring warranty work. Cuz, paid for quality upfront.
And, when the courtesy cars are already out for the day (cuz too much warranty work to do), that is also a red flag.

1 Like

My comment was different than the Kia theft challenge.

Here’s a Facebook link that seems to be the original online source for the video I’m referring to: Redirecting...

The subject vehicle isn’t a Kia or a Hyundai (at least it doesn’t look like a Santa Cruz, which was introduced after the model years impacted by the TikTok challenge).

If you watch the video, note the lit handheld device in the hands of one of the crooks, the pickup’s lights being on and the door seemingly unlocked. Other discussion I’ve seen about the video claims that this wasn’t just some bad guys lucking out on finding a truck warming up unattended…but of course online amateur discussion online should always be taken with a few grains of salt.

My car is one of the commonly stolen cars. There’s a recall on it right now because of the security issue. It’s a software upgrade. From what I’ve read, it does two things - doubles the time the theft alarm sounds, and makes it so the car won’t start without the key in it. A couple things seem weird about this. First, it sounds like they can already apparently determine whether the key is in the lock but they just weren’t using the information? Second, there’s a theft alarm? So why would you set it up to detect a theft, then only sound an alarm instead of stopping the theft?

None of this will prevent people from trying to steal it, of course, so it also comes with a sticker to put on your window, saying the car has theft protection.

Foolproof.

4 Likes