Insomnia

It appears to be hereditary. My son also has it.

It doesn’t seem to be that uncommon, from Google School of Medicine: http://sleepeducation.org/sleep-disorders-by-category/parasomnias/sleep-hallucinations/overview-facts

I also suspect I may have narcolepsy, and that it may be a symptom of that, not its own thing.

It can for sure. As a teenager I couldn’t sleep on my back because it seemed to trigger sleep paralysis - I didn’t have visual hallucinations (other than the ones I was making up in my own head), but I did often (always?) hear a train coming at me.

Found this on that internet thing:

sleep paralysis experiences were often considered to be the work of witches who were accused of using their witchcraft to terrorise sleepers who had offended them in some way. Such episodes were sometimes termed as being ‘witch-ridden’.

WITCH!!!

OooOoo, I was going to make a thread about parasomnias once, except the thing that happens to me is hard to explain. It’s like I wake up, but don’t really wake up, and I end up spending the next couple of hours asking people around me if I’m really awake. It’s like waking up completely stoned.

Wife still cannot sleep on her back. Almost all episodes were from falling asleep on her back.

seems like you have grown used to it a little. Like it is just annoying vs ruining your life.

Hope you are able to manage well. I can somewhat relate to how disruptive sleep disorders can be on life.

1 Like

In it to win it.

Starting the overnight shift next week, for 4-6 weeks. Wonder if I’ll have insomnia during the day?

Sunlight makes me tired. I can always sleep during the day. It’s the night that gives me problems. I never had sleep issues when I worked third shift.

1 Like

I have a friend who is an OR nurse. Apparently they have to clean out bellybuttons before some surgeries, and she tells me how disgusting it is.

Then I realized that I had my gallbladder removed five years ago and one of the incisions was in my bellybutton, and someone probably had to clean mine. Was it gross?! Now I am paranoid. How does one go about cleaning out their bellybutton beyond just a quick rinse in the shower? A q-tip? Is that what they’re actually meant to be used for, since they’re not appropriate for ear canals?

This is keeping me very awake tonight.

What is the inside of a bellybutton supposed to look like anyway? I have belly fat, to the point that my bellybutton never even popped out when I was pregnant, even during the final days. I’m guessing my bellybutton is deep and gross. This is grossing me out.

I’m too awake for sleep, too tired to read.

Ordered some cbd gummies. The legal kind. Maybe they’ll help quiet my mind at night. I kind of hope not, as they would be an expensive habit.

:laughing: my wife comments that a lot of lint collects in my bellybutton. I don’t like using a q-tip though, feels very uncomfortable.

1 Like

Tweezers. Like the Operation! game.

2 Likes

Tried a cbd gummy tonight around 6:30. Should have waited until bed time, as it made me feel sleepy. Surprisingly not very calm…more impatient that I had to still deal with my kids until it was time for them to go to sleep.

Now the feeling has passed and I am, as always, too awake for this hour.

get some xanax

I’m happy for the people anti-anxiety meds work for, but I’m not one of them. I went through so many different types of meds a decade or so ago. They took away my anxiety, along with everything else about me (and left behind excess weight).

I’m open to trying other types of meds to help with sleep, but not those, and not ambien. That shit is scary.

Oh and hey it’s me again, wide awake despite struggling to stay awake all day. I also sort of promised Mr. NA i would wake up early with the kids tomorrow.

I’ve made a huge mistake.

Oh, to be clear, I hate xanax other than as a sleep aid. It puts my head in a fog. Of course I have less anxiety with it given that it entirely eliminates my ability to think. I took it a couple times to sleep the night before an actuarial exam when I’m otherwise guaranteed to have insomnia. As a person who is anxious normally one would think I’d like xanax otherwise, but hated it.

1 Like

You’re already prone to those weird parasomnias, I can see Ambien being :grimacing: for you.

Based on all the horror stories, I’m surprised Ambien has so little impact on me. If I take a whole pill I feel hungover in the morning, but that’s the worst of it, and now I just take less.

I mean if I am driving the car or having sex in the middle of the night without remembering it, I’m sure Oddie would have noticed and/or let me know by now.