Insomnia

I don’t know how you all function at all on such little sleep. My work suffers at my average of 6.5 hours. The last 2 nights have been barely 5 and I don’t know how I’m supposed to actuarialize today. I need to complete a filing before I leave on vacation, and it’s for one of those states that needs everything to be special so I can’t just plagiarize my last one. There is not enough caffeine for this.

3 Likes

I stopped being able to pull all nighters since I was like 25. Especially drug induced all-nighters. Those are the worst. Could take days to now weeks to recover.

I found the cure for consciousness on Tuesday night - take Ambien before bed and NyQuil at 4 AM. Rest assured you will not be working the next day.

1 Like

NyQuil is disgusting and keeps me awake.

Liquid gel capsules are virtually tasteless imo (maybe don’t bite them).

surprising. nyquil puts me to sleep. i’ve used zquil when i don’t have a cold and really needed to sleep. it’s nyquil without the cold medicine part.

I can definitely sleep with Nyquil or Benadryl. With Benadryl a half dose gives me 6 hours and a full dose gives me a hangover. Since I usually sleep 6 hours unmedicated I tend to not take meds until I’ve had a couple nights in a row of less sleep.

So tonight’s the night.

Tizanadine is definitely a good night of sleep for me, but unfortunately it can be addictive so that’s not going to be my long term solution. Sure is nice in the short term, though.

Poorly.

When I hit those streaks where I’m consistently sleeping 6-7 hours without interruption it feels like superpowers, everything feels easy. Then it goes back. The vast majority of people that brag about only sleeping 5 or fewer hours per night are just slowly hurting themselves.

When it’s especially bad, I might do 1 productive hour in a day then kind of sit in a haze, ready to respond to emails sometimes, and think whether I should take a sick day.

2 Likes

Not people admitting to doing 5 hours of work a week!

:roll_eyes: More like I’ve got a disease and some days I physically can’t be productive for 8 hours.

I certainly don’t have 40 hours of productivity most weeks, but days like that are when I was up all night with vomiting/diarrhea and can barely function.

3 Likes

I brought this one on myself, napping so late in the day, but it’s 5 am and here I am. Grateful to be off work tomorrow.

4 Likes

Not exactly insomnia, but the holiday weekend threw my sleep schedule out the window.

Several days of weird things like sleeping from 8-11 PM and 4-7 AM, etc. Woke up today at 5 AM not sure which day it was, found myself during a late lunch at 2 PM not certain if it was 2 PM (work time) or 2 AM (sleep time).

Hoping tonight resets my body.

2 Likes

Update: Not entirely. But maybe progress. Slept I think 11 PM - 4:10 AM. Didn’t have a biphasic sleep at least. Starting my workday early after cleaning the house.

Maybe tonight can be like 10:45-6:00. Lol, I crack myself up.

2 Likes

I sure hope things improve.

I somehow got 8 hours last night. Surprised.

1 Like

My dinner at Mandarin iz sitting kinda heavy still…

This blows. Of course I’m leading a meeting first thing in the morning.

2 Likes

Comforter on, too hot.
Comforter off, too cold.
Spouse breathing too loud.

2 Likes

Comforter on, ceiling fan on.

Hope you got some caffeine and your meeting went ok.

key is comforter on, AC on, one leg out, 365 days a year

Sleep in separate rooms if light sleeper next to snorer. It’s extremely common. Don’t let the stigma get to you. Sleep is way more important.

1 Like