Innumeracy

Was looking at some Adirondack chairs. You can buy them for $110 per chair, or buy a set of 4 for $596.

2 Likes

Buy 4 individually, see if you can return as a group of 4. Arbitrage!

1 Like

I was at a new taco/Mexican fast food place. Tacos were 3.60 each or a 20 pack for 72.99.

Not innumeracy per se, but it’s weird how all the independent Mexican places near me have gone over to champagne and caviar levels of pricing. Taco places used to be a good place for a tasty, inexpensive meal. Now the tacos are over $4 each including tax and are so small that a meal really needs to be at least 4 of them. So with a drink a taco place is about $21 for a lunch, and the bulk of the meal is rice, beans, and tortillas with a VERY modest amount of proteins. No thanks.

1 Like

:iatp:

Perhaps not quite fitting into this thread. I’ve been buying chicken wings from Whole Foods and they are cut into flats and drumsticks. However each packet lately has 6 flats and 10 drumsticks. What happened to the other 4 flats? Or are there some double jointed chickens out there?

1 Like

I cut it diagonally twice.

3 Likes

Well, if you believe in the axiom of choice, and have a really sharp knife, then you can double your sandwich by cutting it into what, 5 pieces?

Edit: TIL that you don’t need choice, the Banach-Tarski paradox just needs ZF + the Hahn-Banach theorem, which `only’ requires the ultrafilter lemma.

Sounds like you’re winning to me. don’t ask too many questions.

drummies>>>>>>>>>>>>flats

You and I should go out for wings. We’d lick the platter clean and both be very satisfied with what we got.

A diagonal cut gives a bigger surface area compared to the other cut so you have more places to bite but the volume/amount is the same.

Oh no. The number of crumbs you lose is proportional to the length of the cut. There can be no other correct interpretation. When you cut, you make some crumbs. More cut length, more crumbs.

Therefor the rectangle cut loses few crumbs than the diagonal cut.

1 Like

We recently bought a ticket for my daughter’s trip home from abroad. I’m making up these numbers & the airports…
One way HEL → DFW in June: $2000
Round trip HEL → DFW in June & DFW → HEL in Dec: $1200

I fully expected 2x one-way-ticket > round-trip-ticket, but was floored to find out that 1x one-way-ticket > round-trip-ticket.

Going for the cash now for an expense far later in the future.

Going for less cash now in addition to an “expense” way in the future.

Just like what they do for life insurance, no?

:bunny:

How much was a one-way trip to Hell?

Michigan?

3 Likes