Innumeracy

well, go on…

1 Like

Belongs in the Shortages and Stuff thread

I didn’t mean to drink it warm. If you buy six bottles, you put one, maybe two into the fridge and store the others. replace as necessary.

rotating the stock. i buy 12 packs of soda. i don’ put all 12 in the fridge at once usually. 3-4 at a time, replaced each day.

You can buy 2 green peppers for $1.54 plus a red and yellow for another $3. Or buy the package deal for $7

2 Likes

The plastic shrink-wrap is easily worth $2.45!

1 Like

Why are green bell peppers always cheaper, anyway? Is it because people don’t like them?

I get the 6-packs at Costco that are red, yellow, and orange. None of that icky green.

I reckon it’s because they’re faster to grow. It takes another 2-3 weeks for them to turn red. Also, red are more nutritious.

1 Like

I get the same when I get Norwegian salmon from Whole Foods. If they hand cut a slice for you it’s $11.99 a pound but if you buy some piece prewrapped in plastic (and sitting there for an unknown length of time) it’s $18.99 a pound.

I wondered if they were just red or yellow ones that hadn’t ripened or if they were different, like the red and the yellow are different.

(I assume orange is a hybrid of the red & yellow???)

My knowledge is very simple … based on something I read a long time ago. There are of course different breeds and whatnot that grow in different ways.

Get this: the Finnish word for “bell pepper “ is “paprika” and I’m like omgwtfbbq42?!? I had no idea that paprika, the spice, comes from bell peppers.

2 Likes

My dad finds both paprika and bell peppers (yes, sweet bell peppers) spicy, so I guess he would go along with that.

Not traditional Innumeracy, but it does involve numbers.

I only subscribe to the newspaper’s online e-edition. I also have signed up for USPS’s Informed Delivery, where they tell me each day what mail to expect (which is quite accurate, but certainly not 100%. Sometimes things arrive we were never told about; sometimes arrive a day or two after we were told they would arrive - even though we are only told on the day it’s supposed to arrive; occasionally never arrive.)

Here are the notices for today (which from all other indications is Wednesday January 18), from the listing of my e-mail inbox:

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 8.32.13 AM

What are the odds that two unrelated e-mails would each have the wrong date?

As an additional comment: from the newspaper e-mail, I cannot read either the Inquirer or Daily News. I get the message that the link has expired. Perhaps the link has the date embedded, and the link in the e-mail is looking for 1/19. (FWIW, I virtually never read the Daily News, but the only subscription option includes both. I tried its link today only out of curiosity since the Inquirer’s didn’t. I wouldn’t have read the paper except as a last result, since I expect I’ll be able to get the Inquirer directly from an app on my iPad.)

:duh: Yes, sort of Innumeracy, but different than I realized. The newspaper e-mail, received today, was indeed for 1/19/2022. So understandable that the links had expired.

:crazy_face:

Not innumeracy, but I can’t find a “misleading graphs” thread

https://twitter.com/stlouisfed/status/1617266021810724866?s=46&t=nj2A8AwEGqZYeoWZNkgEgQ

1 Like

I don’t think it’s that misleading tbh. If anything the analyst made the patterns less extreme? Kinda like taking the log.

I would stick it in the bad data visualizations thread, but it is also misleading. The scale on the right is 2x the scale on the left, not just a shift in total values.

This is trying to merge 2 graphs that don’t match up in scale or range. It’s either sloppy or they are deliberately trying to make it look like China is some scary behemoth that is going to challenge the US militarily. I’d lean toward the latter, since conflating these graphs makes no sense otherwise.

It says their goal is to show how expenditures have changed. They should have shown a percent change from a baseline.

I don’t know if the intent was to mislead, but the result is way to easy to read wrong.

2 Likes