I need a bbq grill

I know…it just seems like a really nice grill…and, well, [tim allen].

That’s a good idea.

It’s more grill than you need, not sure if space is an issue. If you want something smaller that will cook nicely and sear a steak, I think (been a while since I looked) Napolean has some smaller grills that get hot. It’ll cost you about the same as a Weber Genesis.

Costco one is propane only, though. Sorry.

:frowning_face:
Well, that’s a non-starter, then.

Yes, it is more grill than I need. Space will be a minor issue.

Thanks for the tip on Napoleon. Those look promising.

If I buy this one for $1,108.99 they’ll throw in a rotisserie ($99.99 value, they say). It gets 70,500 BTUs.

The other one I considered was this one for $908.99 – 51,000 BTUs and no free rotisserie.

If you’ll be searing steaks, I’d pop for 71k BTU, that’s a monster. Should get hot, and get hot quickly.

Yeah, an online review I just read said it takes less than a minute to get up to 400 degrees…whereas, the Weber will take 2-3 minutes. [red]Think of the time I’ll save! If I still had kids in the house I could spend more time with them rather than waiting for the grill to heat up.[/red]

Okay, so I’ve got the Napoleon Rogue SE 425 with rotisserie. I’ve got to find a similar model from Weber and then finally make a decision.

Do note when comparing BTU, factor in the size of the primary cooking surface. I think BTU per square inch is probably a good ballpark.

If you want a grill you won’t ever have to worry about not starting, metal starting to rust, grates falling apart, etc then definitely buy a Weber Genesis. If you want something less reliable then the cheap ones are all about the same. I have absolutely no clue about anything that costs more than a Weber, but I can’t imagine you’re picking up much value for the $'s above a Weber.

Do you know anything about Napoleon grills? Is Weber far better than even them?

I got a Weber Spirit II E-310. Second season we had it. We like it a lot. Cook on it often, but not a ton of stuff each time. Our grill is on our deck off the kitchen, so we don’t really need a burner. Just run inside for that. We rarely have cookouts where we would need an outside burner to keep the beans or sauerkraut warm…

Not who you asked, but… I think Weber Genesis and Napoleon are in the same ballpark. Reliable, even heat distribution, and if anything breaks parts are readily available. You’re basically deciding between Lexus and Acura here, in my opinion.

Now, let’s get you a nice charcoal rig! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That shouldn’t stop you…seriously, though, it was more of an open question, so it’s good that you opined.

Good to know.

I’m not familiar with Acura, but that’s okay. TIL: Acura is Honda’s luxury brand.

I have a Weber 40020 Smokey Joe Premium 14-Inch Portable Grill. That suits me just fine. :wink:

Here are what I believe are comparables from Weber:
Genesis® II E-335 Gas Grill (Natural Gas) is $949. (Porcelain lid, painted steel doors, cast iron cooking grates)
Genesis® II SE-335 Gas Grill (Natural Gas) is $999.(Porcelain lid, painted steel doors, 9mm steel rod cooking grates))
Genesis® II S-335 Gas Grill (Natural Gas) is $1,049. (Stainless steel lid & doors, 7mm steel rod cooking grates)

+$80 for a grill cover.

If I’m doing this correctly, this is the rotisserie part (but it’s “Currently unavailable”…at least, directly from Weber…looks like amazon has it). +$110 for that.

…so, using my mad math skills, add $190 to the prices above.

As you may recall, Napoleon Rogue SE 425 with rotisserie is $1,109. (Stainless steel construction, grates are stainless steel) Price includes the grill cover & rotisserie.

So, is the cheapest Genesis worth $30 more than the Napoleon? Is the middle Genesis worth $80 more? Is the most expensive Genesis worth $130 more?

In the end I’ll probably be happy with any of the four. Which one should I pick? Opinions, please.

That first one has Cast-iron, porcelain-enameled cooking grates. Again, you’ll need brass brushes with those. I like them, though.

Is there a difference between the Genesis 335 and the Spirit E330 that justifies the additional $300? They appear to be roughly the same size, with sear station, and side burner.

[Be sure to read the post after this post]

7,000 less BTU (I wouldn’t even notice)
89 sq in less cooking area (probably not a big deal)
51 sq in less warming rack area, and the Genesis has a tuck away feature for its warming rack (maybe this will be a nice feature…I’m not sure)
Oh…it doesn’t appear to have a natural gas option, so that’s a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the idea, though.

[/Bstrtpatp]

The Spirit E-310 is what I want to consider I believe (it has the same features as the E-330)…

7,000 less BTU
89 sq in less cooking area
51 sq in less warming rack area & not tuck-away

Hmmmm…$300…I don’t want to “go cheap” but I probably won’t mind the smaller size & won’t miss the extra BTUs…

Thoughts/opinions?