I don't get the Jeff Bezos hate

I think it’s pretty hard to argue overwise in good faith unless you compare current times to very recent past times.

Human life has sucked pretty bad for a long time and capitalism has been a big part of helping accelerate that advancement, even if it is a flawed system.

4 Likes

I tend not to think about people who were dealt a shittier hand than me (or a better hand than me), when trying to live my life. We all have to figure life out from different starting points.

Based upon what is this belief based?

Me going about my life isn’t doing any good for most people in sub Saharan Africa for example. The stuff I’m buying may have some resources extracted from the region, but all the profits from that are going to the local elite, not the general population.

1 Like

I’d rather not live with multiple maids, though. Which I guess means I’d prefer to live in a home small enough that someone swinging through every week or two to do the cleaning is my preference.

If I had unlimited money, I would own a couple of homes in very different places, though, and I suppose hire a service to take care of them when I’m away. Hmm, maybe a lot of homes.

I’d also build something like the Balboa park, with a lot of space that can be used very cheaply by local groups.

Oh, I probably wouldn’t want to have live in maids either. But I want someone to make my bed every morning and make sure everything is tidy, so every time I enter the house or my room, it feels freshly made, like a hotel.

I also would never want to do laundry again. Everything should be washed and folded. Always fresh linens in the bathroom, etc.

Maybe have breakfast and morning tea/coffee ready when I go down. But I can probably take care of my own lunch and dinner. Although I’d still be into fitness, so maybe a private nutritionist/chef would be nice.

or, it can buy you a semi decent apartment in manhattan, but only semi-decent.

that’s easy. 2,000 chicks at the same time?

actually, that sounds rather difficult.

1 Like

yeah but you can def buy in the billionaire’s row with 1 b with lots of change.

I find appeals in both luxury high rises as well as mansions. So I’ll probably have one of each.

I don’t need houses in multiple locations, I can find fancy airbnbs/hotels for that.

what’s the billionaire’s row?

i don’t think i’d want a mansion. i’m so used to apartment living, that just having a little more space would make me happy. a 2 bedroom on the top floor so i don’t have to hear the people above me would be great. actually, if i’m rich, preferably have an entire floor. that’s gonna be more than 2 million though.

You live in Manhattan and you’ve never heard of billionaire’s row?

You’ve seen them for sure.

Hmm, of these, only “someone else does my laundry” even sound appealing, and laundry just isn’t that big a deal.

oooh, 57th by central park. i’m not sure i entirely get the appeal of living on 57th by the park. i’d rather live in the UWS if I had to choose. But those apartments are apparently super luxury on billionaires row.

yeah, they’re more status symbols than anything, and I’m sure most of them are not even occupied on a daily basis. They do have unobstructed view of Central Park, that’s nice.

ah, makes sense if you have unlimited funds to buy a status symbol apartment. when you look at these places online when they are for sale, they do not look like they are lived in. they look like museums or something like that.

do you donate a lot to charity right now without having 1 billion dollars? I have my doubts when people claim they would donate all their money if they were wealthier.

Not traditional charities and less than a typical 10% church tithe, but I pick my causes. Some political, a friend to get his top surgery while transitioning, we’ve housed people in “transitional” living situations for probably an aggregate 10 months without charging (some could have scraped by, some would be homeless), general giving food to the poor and such. Haven’t sent money directly to a charity in a while however.

1 Like

i wouldn’t want a mansion with multiple rooms and multiple maids. That would just be a headache to manage (even if u had a manager). I’d just stay at the ritz

charities employ people too. They’d benefit from your boring life as well

capitalism is the worst system, except for all the other systems

2 Likes