I don't get affirmative action hate

we do? there’s plenty of online programs that more and more people are taking advantage of.

it’s not like harvard is the only place to get an education.

and more and more employers are caring less about which school you went to. some don’t even care about if you have a degree at all

this is a good direction imo

True, but to become a part of certain niches within the political class it seems that school still matters. Ketanji Brown Jackson is a Harvard grad, for example. In fact, I think only ACB on SCOTUS attended a non-Ivy league school, and it might even be specifically non-Yale, non-Harvard. You probably have to go back to the 1960s to find a Fed Reserve chair that wasn’t Ivy league educated. It certainly still has some role, although I would agree that it’s becoming of lesser importance over time.

Certainly we shouldn’t require college degrees just because we can. I worked at a company that required 4 year college degrees for their secretaries, which is beyond asinine.

I don’t mind requiring engineers and software developers and heck even marketing analysts to have college degrees. But there are a lot of jobs that require it that shouldn’t.

I’m not confused about the reason for it. I’m saying that the statement that “no one cares about AA at public universities” is not universally true.

What are your proposals for making that happen?

I like your goal, I’m just not sure how to get there.

disincentivize the value of degrees. I think we’re heading in the direction since a lot of well paying companies no longer looks at schools and degrees.
Once people learn that colleges aren’t that valuable, they’ll weigh the cost against the benefit - which for the cost of most colleges right now, are nowhere near worth it.

Once people realize that it’s better to go to vocational schools, colleges will run dry.

Ok, so, let it happen naturally. I’m on board.

I thought you were somehow wanting to speed up the process, and I couldn’t figure out how. Having the govt. pay for college would certainly be in the wrong direction of this goal though (which you already said :slight_smile: )

yeah, I’m definitely not for making colleges free or canceling student debt, as that’s actually placing more value on colleges.

2 Likes

I think it’s very important to realize that academia is another graft scheme for politicians. Not only do you see the usual Revolving Door situation, particularly with administrative positions, but you also see graft from textbook sales (ask Liz Warren) and absurd speaking fees paid by colleges and universities. This is at least partially explains why politicians have nearly no interest in actually reducing the cost of college or enrollment, as it threatens their graft. Student loan forgiveness is the perfect solution for them - buys votes without doing anything to disrupt the existing graft.

If many of you weren’t perpetually distracted by orange man and similar propaganda, you may have earlier noticed how utterly corrupt and captured the politicians you vote for are and how the consequences for their constituents can be severe. At least one of you will have a bitter realization probably this winter when crushing energy prices lead you to question whether “sticking it to Putin” is actually about protecting politicians’ Ukrainian piggybank at all costs. Does anyone know where all the money that we send there is actually going? Because I have one idea…

Yeah, the term ‘race to the bottom’ comes to mind.

It’s in an individual’s best interest to go to college to become a secretary.

It’s in a company’s best interest to trash the non-BA resumes.

It’s in our collective best interest to do neither.

1 Like

I knew companies that did not require any college for secretaries. However, any other position inside the company did require a college degree. Long tenured secretaries that showed promise were stuck behind closed doors even though they had great experience to perform other work at the company.

So it’s a matter of taking it one step further and also not “require” college further up the job ladder.

It depends on the job. Certainly there are other jobs that can be done without degrees. Claims analyst/adjuster, some lower level stuff setting up new clients, and in group insurance setting groups up for underwriting (getting the census formatted & input correctly and making sure all of the needed fields are there and working with sales to get whatever’s missing) don’t need degrees.

I’m ok with requiring degrees for some roles, but not indiscriminately for all roles.

simple and genius solution: every college renames their school to “Harvard”

so everyone can put “Harvard College” on their resume. This is effective retroactively

Not sure if this is the right thread, but

https://twitter.com/kyledanderson/status/1566533130671964160?s=21&t=KnU5w7advc0jAJkogTjrzA

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on the Black Elves of Middle Earth? I don’t recall any from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I know Dark Elves and Night Elves exist in other franchises; and much anime-style CG features dark-skinned elves; but the term “Black Elf” is new to me.

It’s about actors of african ancestry playing elves in the new show.

I don’t think Tolkien ever mentions the skin color of the elves or dwarves. I think he may have mentioned men in the south having darker skin. There are “Black Numenorians”, but that isn’t a skin color thing.

I have no doubt that in Tolkien’s mind they were white. That isn’t at all important to the lore though.

As far as how they could have different skin tones - there are several “races” of elves, men, and dwarves. No reason they all had to look alike.

There is a POC mandate, unspoken yet followed.
Also teh gays.
Same thing on House of Dragons.

always thought lord of the rings was subtley racist

man = white
elves = asian
orcs = black
dwarves = midgets

Elves are Asian?

I never read the books, only watched the movies. But this guy is Asian?

He’s got blonde hair and blue eyes and pasty white skin.

Or is there something in the books implying elves are Asian?

cuz elves are supposed to have slanted eyes? I dunno.

Honestly, if you choose to ignore color and treat humans as just a single species with just different shades of melanin, I can get past the random black people (and a random asian guy in HoD) in these new shows. Of course, the question of “but where did the black people come from” is moot because these humans are not the same ones from earth, so they could always just have existed together since the beginning of time.

1 Like