I am going to buy this (these) today and reasons why

Come on over, I’ve got one of these, too. And an old hand crank meat grinder.

1 Like

I think it is a Sonora brand, not sure which model. I know that 1) it works perfectly and 2) it has been refinished. It was actually in really good condition when my parents bought it home, probably all original, but my mom dropped a bottle of laundry detergent down the stairs and some detergent splashed on the side of it taking off the finish. Prices online seem to range from 500-6000.

Sounds pretty similar in value to antique sewing machines.

I would have paid money for that container alone, that’s pretty fetch.

I still hand grind my coffee every day. Wife doesn’t drink coffee and I usually only have one double-strength cup a day. My little hand burr grinder takes up minimal space and doesn’t take much time. I can grind the beans before the water has finished heating.

Yeah, which kind of makes sense. Most households had these items, so I suspect the quantity manufactured was similar. Anecdotally, I’d say I see them in roughly equal numbers in antique stores.

And neither is in huge demand, it seems. So perhaps not surprising that both sell for a few hundred bucks.

1 Like

I paid more for the container than I paid for the player. I’m guessing the crates were mostly destroyed. Or broken down for wood during the depression. Or whatever. I’ve been hunting old phonographs for over a decade and this is the first crate I’ve ever come across.

Also, please stop trying to make ‘fetch’ happen.

4 Likes

Do you play antique records in the antique players? Or are you rocking out to a tinny Taylor Swift on those things?

No, I just stare longingly at them. If you play them then you have to maintain them. Here’s a fun fact. The really old ones use steel needles, and you have to change them out after about 20 minutes of play. You can buy bags of like 500 needles on eBay for this reason.

I don’t know if I actually have any records for them. I know I have an Edison cylinder record.

1 Like

Yeah, for a while I collected antique singers. They are beautiful and interesting, but take up so much space. I imagine most of them ended up in the back of a scrapper’s truck, sadly. I did hold onto my great grandmother’s singer, which came with the case and a key and a few original accessories. Nothing special about the serial number or anything like that, it would likely sell for $200 or less, but it’s in great shape, still runs. My great grandmother died in 2020 as a centenarian, so it’s nice to have something from her lifetime around.

On the other side of the family, my father saved an old toy bear his great grandmother hand made during the Great Depression to make a small living. It’s hideous, probably filled with sawdust, but it was the first gift my son got when he was born, and those things make for nice stories.

3 Likes

We have a fair amount of sentimental stuff. Two walnut tables my dad made. My grandma’s 1952 Zenith radio. A hall tree and mantle clock my grandfather made. A print of a woman feeding an apple to a horse that was my wife’s grandparents’.

Oh, and a cast iron skillet. My grandma gave it to me. She got it from her grandma. I use it daily.

2 Likes

for sentimentalia, just yesterday I collected from my parents a wall clock that I made in 8th grade Shop class. It’s over 30 years old now, and still looks good and works fine. They’re downsizing out of one of their 2 houses and moving permanently to Florida, so this is one of the things that I got to collect back. Still pretty proud of that work.

3 Likes

This is one I made… I think sophomore year. It’s all solid walnut, save for a veneer panel that covers the back.

7 Likes

Jumping ahead a century or so, I plan to buy myself a new Macbook Pro. Mine still works fine, but it’s old, I don’t want to upgrade the OS for reasons, and it’s becoming less and less compatible with other things.

I want the pro mostly for the ports. I’m sure the air is powerful enough for me, but I often plug my laptop into all manner of accessories (screen, tape deck, etc., as well as power and its backup drive) so I’m willing to pay to not spend my life juggling dongles. I only wish it included a USB-A port. But it has the others I want.

Should I wait for black Friday? Cyber Monday? Order it now before the rush?

I probably need to order one and not buy off-the-rack, because I want a big hard driver (or SSD drive these days, I guess.)

Does apple put things “on sale”?

For some reason I thought they were one of those companies that doesn’t do that (for prestige something) but maybe I’m misremembering.

Need a project. So building a shiplap wall around my fireplace in my living room.

Before (and a mess - I know I know)

Couch came and got drapes for the front window too.

Colors:
Shiplap eggshell
Fireplace brick matte
Accent mirror prolly eggshell too

3 Likes

The fireplace is set up for gas. This is a wood burning POS. I am sure if the prior owner used it it flooded the inside with soot and smoke the way it was put together. So this is going to the curb tomorrow.

1 Like

Are you removing the fireplace altogether, or retro-fitting it for gas?

The brick fireplace will stay. I don’t think I want to hook it up for gas. Just getting rid of the Forester wood burn insert.

Yeah, inserts are great if they are properly installed and maintained. Sounds like this is neither. Would you consider replacing the red clay tiles in front of the fireplace? We have those same tiles in front of our basement fire place (who puts a fireplace in a basement?) AND in our half bath on the first floor, and I’m not a fan.

But even a small tile job is a PITA, so.

It also appears you’ve removed the mantle, is that going back, or getting replaced with something else? We have a pretty similar fireplace with painted brick and a plain white mantle, and at some point I really want to get maybe an oak mantle or something just a little bit nicer than what’s there now.