I am going to buy this (these) today and reasons why

I am very seriously considering buying a Garrett relic shovel. I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger because spending almost $100 on a shovel seems frivolous. However, the alternative is to keep using my hand digger which is a) hard on my hands and 2) hard on my knees and back.

$100 to noticeably improve your life? That’s cheap therapy.

2 Likes

That would have irked me before this year. But several significant life changes just happened to me in the past half year. So now it’s party time

I’m a fan of tools that work. It wasn’t $100, but I think I spent $50 or $60 on a Fiskars shovel that’s all steel and has a nice gusset for rigidity. Worth it.

1 Like

I too like Fiskar.

Thinking of getting a snow blower for this next winter. Probably a two-stage thrower . . .

1 Like

For years, I had stumbled through winters with a couple of 2nd hand snowblowers. Then I didn’t have one for a couple of years, instead relying on my teenage kids to shovel and/or the relying on the generosity of the neighbors to lend me theirs if a snowfall was bad.

So a few years ago I decided to go all out and buy myself a big, powerful, Ariens snowblower. I had to go to an equipment dealer, as the ones sold at Home Depot were not big enough for me. Then I moved to a house with a much smaller driveway. It’s a breeze to clear my driveway, but storing that enormous machine the other 360 days a year that I don’t have to blow snow is a pretty big deal. It takes up a lot of space in my small garage.

2 Likes

Our immediate, far-right-wing neighbors got divorced after 33 years and are selling their house. Showings are beginning today.

I put a giant LGBT pride flag in our front yard. It is Pride Month after all. Hopefully it pulls in somebody who won’t cover their lawn in Trump 2020 signs until late 2021. And if they contact me in annoyance, I will not care.

6 Likes

Unless you’ve got a tiny driveway I would suggest not cheaping out. You likely have the money and the convenience of slamming a crap thrower into the snow versus ZOOOOOOM is worth it.

Just tell them it’ll probably increase the average income of the sorts looking at the house

I grew up shoveling a fairly large driveway (~2,000 sq ft) in an area that saw about 25 days of snow fall with a min of 2" accumulation (not to mention drifting). And as I’m getting “older”, I don’t want to be spending lots of time “taking care of business” . . . and that’s why I won’t consider the 1-stage throwers (which are usually the cheap ones).

I’ll also likely be doing our neighbor’s sidewalk (and smaller driveway) since she’s widowed.

Nice. I recently got a top-level 2-stage thrower and it’s hilariously fun.

I have been known to hit the 18 houses close to me more than a few times at 6 AM. ZOOOOOOOM.

You can even do the curb with a large mower, that was something I also did just because [Tim the tool man] Power tools, oh-oh-aaarg!!![/Tttm]

1 Like

I’m afraid even a tiny pride flag would get us shot, considering the Let’s Go Brandon lights 2 blocks away, and the fence sized Trump flag 3 blocks away. Also my across the street neighbor would immediately start praying for us. (She is super sweet tho.)

1 Like

So, where does that leave us on the BLM sign?

Doesn’t that just indicates where public lands are?

1 Like

If you work in an office (as opposed to work from home), how much do estimate that you spend on a typical year’s worth of clothing for YOURSELF, including shoes, socks, undergarments, shirts, pants, dresses, jackets & coats, ties, belts, swimsuits, sport jackets, hats and gloves, and any other conceivable but normal & reasonable attire?

• 1000 and under
  • 1001 to 1250
  • 1251 to 1500
  • 1501 to 1750
  • 1751 to 2000
  • 2001 to 2500
  • 2501 to 3000
  • 3001 to 4000
  • 4001 to 5000
  • 5001 and up (JSM Click here)
  • 42 Bitcoins

0 voters

Your scale is off by a power of ten for me.

5 Likes

You spend $10,000 annually on clothes?
:exploding_head:

6 Likes

I don’t think my clothing budget has changed, working at home or not.

Just bought four Old Navy flag T-shirts, $5 each. Should hold me a few years (along with all the past flag t-shirts).
And I have two or three weeks’ worth of biz-caz clothes I have not worn regularly in two years.
Nothing formal to speak of. One jacket and pants combo that needs to be replaced, should the need arise (interviews, weddings, funerals, etc.). Tons of old ties.

2 Likes