How to use up my dried beans

I went to the Indian grocery store and stocked up on beans and rice at the start of the pandemic. We’ve long since finished the lentils and split peas, but i still have a lot of kidney beans, some generic white bean (like navy beans) and large white lima beans.

Time to use them up.

We actually eat a lot of beans, but generally buy canned beans. And after trying some of these dried beans in a few of my favorite recipes, i realize why: every bean needs a different cooking time, and most of my been recipes use more than one type of bean. Separately cooking three types of bean is a pita. So i buy cans.

Fwiw, when i do cook dried beans, i usually soak them (less gassy, i think) and then cook them in the instant pot.

Anyway, I’m soaking some kidney beans and will make a bean chili thing tonight.

Any other suggestions?

Oh, this is important: i don’t eat cooked peppers. So any recipe with peppers in it, hot or sweet, is out. And my husband doesn’t eat fish or most cheese, but that’s probably less relevant to using up beans.

(Yes, my “chili thing” doesn’t include any actual chili. Lots of cumin, some other spices, some tomato sauce.)

Try rajma, it’s a south Asian dish that’s basically flavoured kidney been stew or soup. There are lots of variations, you can skip the red chilli if it doesn’t agree with you.

Ham and beans.

Might also find a recipe for refried beans (and see if it’s any better than canned or restaurant).

Does “no pepper” also mean no paprika?

Make me dinner! Chili sounds nice

1 Like

Yes. I’m willing to eat small amounts of paprika when other people add it to food, but it makes everything taste worse, imo, so i never add it myself.

1 Like

Then all my suggestions are out. I like to make a red beans and rice without chili powder, but I load it up with more smoked paprika, as it’s a flavor I really enjoy.

1 Like

And, this is how I feel about cumin. Horrible stuff.

1 Like

succotash

1 Like

For white beans - cook and mash and have on a sandwich with hummus, tomato and balsamic dressing. Or with tomato and avocado. Or anything really.

For the white beans, i thought this dish was outstanding. It’s basically stewed white beans with a little lamb shank for flavor, and topped with pickled dill tomatoes. It is behind a paywall. I might be able to get you a paywall free version, but it looks like it might only cost $1 for 12 weeks of access to all their recipes

Best Turkish Beans with Pickled Tomatoes Recipe - How to Make Turkish Beans with Pickled Tomatoes?

:iatp: That and some cornbread and you’re set for the week, imo.

Missed this. My husband’s and daughter mostly don’t eat pork.

Why yes, we ARE picky eaters. Why do you ask.

But the way, An Introduction to Indian Cooking, by Madhur Jaffrey was ground breaking for us. Because her recipes are all carefully described and start with individual ingredients, it’s really easy to adjust them so that everyone enjoys them.

Then go for steak and beans instead.

Or goat & beans.

Or mutton & beans.

please share

We follow this recipe, but instead of cayenne and green pepper (kids won’t eat it), I just add smoked paprika to taste. I also pick a sausage that isn’t too spicy, because kids. Sometimes will use kielbasa instead.

Summary

INGREDIENTS

Yield:About 12 cups

• 1½pound dried red beans (preferably New Orleans Camelia brand)
  • 1pound andouille sausage, sliced ½-inch thick (smoked sausage can also be used)
  • 4tablespoons olive oil
  • 6garlic cloves, minced
  • 2medium onions, finely diced
  • 1large rib celery, finely diced
  • 1medium green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1½teaspoons black pepper
  • ⅛teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2teaspoons salt
  • 3bay leaves
  • 2teaspoons dried basil
  • ¾teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1bunch fresh green onions, chopped
  • Cooked white long-grain rice, for serving

PREPARATION

1. Step 1

In a large bowl, cover beans in water and soak for at least 4 hours or overnight. (Water should cover beans by at least an inch.)

1. Step 2

In a large, heavy pot, brown sausage in 1 tablespoon of oil until slightly crisp. Add remaining oil, then the garlic and onions. Sauté over medium heat until onions become transparent and limp. Add celery and bell pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.

1. Step 3

Pour soaked beans and water into the pot and bring to a simmer. Add black pepper, cayenne, salt and all herbs except parsley.

1. Step 4

Cook until beans are softened, about 1½ to 2 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings.

1. Step 5

Fifteen minutes before serving, remove 1 cup of beans to a bowl and, using a fork, mash them and stir back into the pot to enhance the creamy texture of the dish. Add parsley and green onions. Simmer about 15 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning, and add up to 1 cup more water if beans seem too thick. Remove bay leaves. Serve over white long-grain rice.

1 Like

Those all sound promising. We often use lamb where other people use pork.

Any recipes you’d like to share?

paywall

1 Like

Added to body of text.

Thanks – that looks nice. I’d use a beef kielbasa, and leave out the peppers and probably not replace them with anything. Maybe next week. :slight_smile:

1 Like