How to check if ISO has published loss costs for a certain LOB

Never had to look this up before for fringe lines, and usually someone else already has the loss costs prepared.

Anyone know where to look?

actually, any bureau for that matter

Moved to an area where you might get better traction for the question.

If you need it back in Sandbox for a while longer, let a mod know and we can move it back.

Hm. Without an ISO login, it does appear difficult to answer your question. I would think ISOā€™d want to advertise what it actually publishes. Seems strange. Although ā€˜fringeā€™ line makes me think itā€™s less likely to actually have published loss costs anywhere.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s what Iā€™m going with. I just donā€™t know how to be 100% sure.

Without knowing which ā€œfringeā€ . . . but Iā€™d hazard the guess that itā€™s likely ā€œburiedā€ within some other line.

Thatā€™s a good point. You can PM me with specifics if youā€™d like and I can try to be of further use.

A little quality time with Google revealed this link from the Texas DOI. I havenā€™t dug too deep, but it might provide a clue or two.

1 Like

If you have an ISO account then Products => Circulars => search by state and LOB

Agreed, but I have the sense that JSM doesnā€™t have ISOnet access, and the question left open the possibility of other rating bureaus.

yeah, no account here.

And Iā€™m fairly certain the line isnā€™t buried. I believe it has its own line in the financial statement.

Thanks! Yeah doesnā€™t seem like my line is listed.

Thatā€™s good.

Hereā€™s another thought: You could call ISO/state bureau and ask, although if your company is not a member or subscriber, I donā€™t know if they will reply.

Or you could call your favorite insurance department actuary and ask.

And as long as weā€™re on this subject, arenā€™t insurers supposed to report their data to insurance departments, a function that rating bureaus do on behalf of insurers? How do fringe lines get reported? How do E&O and D&O get reported to the Florida Insurance Department, for example?

Itā€™s been 15ish years, but back when I was working on on-boarding various oddball specialty P&C products, discussions on setting up the coding for those products usually included a consultation with our stat reporting group.

My (possibly erroneous) impression is that ISO stat plans include codes for business that doesnā€™t align with their loss costs, and/or supports broad ā€œall otherā€ sorts of coding.

High level data gets reported to comply with requirementsā€¦but details to do fun analysis would be sparse.

1 Like

I bet most companies donā€™t write E&O or D&O out of a company domiciled in Florida. Every place Iā€™ve worked that wrote that kind of stuff was actually a group, and had a lot of underlying legal entities. That being said, Iā€™ve never worked in reporting or compliance, and I have no idea what the rules are about writing a commercial FL coverage out of your Bermuda or even Delaware corporation.

Hi Lucy,

Doesnā€™t an insurer report its state data to every state where it is licensed, regardless of state domicile?

The statistical bureau collects stat plan data and handles this reporting requirement for the major lines. Iā€™ve never been clear how the insurance department gets data for the fringe lines. Or do they not worry about this?

They certainly do for personal lines. I dunno, do they do it for every line? If you write E&O on a multinational, what state is that based in? The state where the insured is domiciled? The state where the insurer is domiciled? Distributed by some measure of exposure?

Anyhow, Iā€™ve certainly looked up info that ISO created, but as I said above, I have no experience in reporting or compliance, and Iā€™ve always worked for large companies that have departments to do that stuff. (Iā€™ve also spent most of my career on the large commercial side of things, where contracts are negotiated, exposure measures may be negotiated, and thereā€™s an awful lot of actuarial work that is very far away from whatever we end up telling the states.)

Hi Lucy,

Iā€™m sure there is always some measure of exposure to allocate business. Even the presidentā€™s salary is going to be allocated by line of business, profit center, etc.

I think one of Sholomā€™s papers includes a statement about there are many things that are done for accounting and reporting purposes that are not explicitly told to the states.

When I worked in primary, we once had a large WC policy that had an underlying state manual rate pricing, but somehow for the NCCI and Page 14 reporting the entire premium got allocated to the first state alphabetically, which was Alabama. The next year this got fixed, which resulted in a negative premium for Alabama, who otherwise was a small state for us. My recollection was that NCCI was not amused.

Oops!

But normally WC, Commercial Auto, and all the personal lines are pretty easy to allocate to states. Iā€™m not so sure about some of the other lines. If anyone does that, and knows how itā€™s done, Iā€™d be curious.

I got curious and did a little more poking around (after confirming that my ISOnet login doesnā€™t get me access to their stat plan documents).

The Washington DOI has this page relevant to the statistical reporting discussion: Statistical reporting for P&C insurers | Washington state Office of the Insurance Commissioner

It references an NAIC handbook: https://content.naic.org/sites/default/files/publications-sta-zu-statistical-handbook.pdf

That handbookā€™s most recent copyright date is 2012, so Iā€™m not certain if thatā€™s currentā€¦but it has the following scope:

A few tidbits I saw in other states seem similar (e.g., I think a Vermont reg reads similar to the NAIC manual, with the addition of ā€œother lines as determined by the Commissionerā€), although I do note that Florida apparently has a data call for claims data for certain professional lines claims.

Thinking back to my work oboarding and working with new/oddball productsā€¦I donā€™t actually remember having to go into gory, tortuous detail with many of the professional lines coverages, and the challenges I sometimes had with inland and ocean marine data would have hinted at problems in reporting to a statistical agent.

I wonder if the answer to the question, ā€œHow do E&O and D&O get reported to the Florida Insurance Department, for example?ā€ is simply that they donā€™t get reported beyond whatā€™s implicit in the annual statement/IEE/etc, surplus lines statement if applicable, rate filings if applicable, and any special data calls from the state.