How safe will you feel when vaccinated?

That’s fair, I’ve been the poster child for the flu vaccine. A couple years getting it just before my vaccine and it really sucking, even once during a ski trip which ruined that.

I’m a bit suspicious I got COVID earlier on, but yeah getting the vaccine just to avoid the illness is probably worthwhile. As a non-smoking, normal weight, 30 year old male in a house of a spouse and small children the risk seems immaterial to our little unit, especially when older relatives have been vaccinated, but would definitely rather be in a society where we are willing to do things like vaccinate/wear a mask for the good of a society considering the low cost.

2 Likes

:woman_shrugging:

I’m volunteering to be part of the long-term safety study control group.

3 Likes

I’d feel pretty safe. My one worry is having a kid with asthma that would get triggered with a non-COVID virus, but that has been somewhat outgrowing that. Most of those tend to come from school through the kids to the adults, so maybe I pass on large crowded events that I usually avoid anyway until they figure out the vaccine for kids.

Odds are I’ll be vaccinated before my husband, so we probably won’t be running out to restaurants. We are at an age where risk of death is pretty low, but risk of hospitalization is substantial. And long covid sounds pretty unpleasant.

But I’ve been cautious for so long that it will take a while to get used to being less cautious. That being said, I’ve already RSVP’d to some largish gatherings (masked, but close contact with many households indoors) contingent on being vaccinated. And I’ll stop asking my mom to wear a mask when i visit.

I’ll also go grocery shopping in person whenever i feel like it, instead of carefully planning and minimizing time-in-store. And hang out with friends in the evening, when they are ready to have guests over.

I don’t mind wearing a mask, and will probably do it as long as it makes anyone more comfortable. But i expect to drop down from the sealed N90 thingies I’ve been wearing indoors to the comfy fabric masks I’ve been wearing outdoors. Or maybe light weight surgical masks, if it’s warm.

Hosting a wedding this fall, it looks like. Probably 100 or so people.

Yeah, I also will probably begin wearing the lightest mask possible this summer. I want to be masked in solidarity for as long as it’s socially required but if I’m fully vaccinated, and everyone else has also had the chance to be, I’m not going to be wearing my filtered, triple layered masks anymore.

I’ll be doing everything I want without a care in the world about getting covid after I get vaccinated.

I’ll be dropping the mask once no longer mandated.

We have elementary aged kids, and one of them has something that might be on the very broad CDC “possibly at risk for severe illness for kids” list, so we won’t make any major changes like flying or restaurants until either the kids can be vaccinated or community spread has improved even more.

Mostly we’ll see vaccinated grandparents / family members / close friends and I won’t hesitate to go shopping in person. I’ll also catch up on some medical appointments (dentist, eye doctor, etc.) that I’ve put off.

I think I’d feel safe doing most of the things I used to do prior to March 2020.

I don’t think I’d feel safe in a super crowded dance club, but I’m getting old and don’t really find that fun anyway, for the most part.

I wouldn’t taste a friend’s drink unless I knew that the friend was also into the 2 weeks past last vaccine injection stage.

Honestly it’s been so long since I’ve done anything I’m having a hard time remembering what I wouldn’t do.

I guess I’d be apprehensive about going to a crowded movie theater, but I’d feel more comfortable going to a less crowded matinee. I’d probably be more comfortable going to a crowded symphony concert as I trust symphony-goers to get vaccinated more than I trust movie-goers.

3 Likes

I for one am going to get a friggin haircut

I wouldn’t do this pre-2020, though. :face_vomiting:

That’s very sad to me, Ms twig.

But at the movies you can munch on popcorn or snacks throughout, & everyone knows that eating/drinking keeps you safe from covid. That’s why people can unmask at restaurants.

i risked my life and got a haircut in august.

“Get in there you big furry oaf. I don’t care what you smell.”

Err, maybe the rules are different in your state? In mine, they keep the parties pretty well separated BECAUSE they know they’ll be unmasking.

so marcie is a covid-denier? huh

My governor follows TheScience™.

Nope. Just an absurdity-caller-outer.

1 Like

so why are you not planning to get the vaccine? not sure if i read your snarky reply correctly, but seemed to indicate you’re not gonna get it.

i don’t think indoor dining is safe. i wouldn’t do it unless vaccinated. outdoor dining is iffy too, especially with what counts as outdoor dining. they set up tents or these pod things that are basically indoors at that point.