How safe will you feel when vaccinated?

You are more likely to keep doing it.
Cold turkey, lady.

1 Like

Eh, just linking the typo to the story about Covid in deer in a hopefully humorous way.

I wouldn’t have remembered that it was Wisconsin that had issued a recommendation to wear a mask while field dressing a deer but it was certainly hashed out in one of the Covid threads on here.

It’s pointless to try to have a rational discussion with someone acting irrationally. Smart+educated mostly implies rational people, but not always. Source: 20 years of actuarial forums online.

3 Likes

It’s not entirely pointless, since some people read the discussion without adding to it. I am not sure what to think about masks and like the debate. I’d be interested in reviewing the one strongest paper on the pro mask side.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s for the sake of sensible people like you that I keep trying, even when it seems pointless.

3 Likes

Check out the thread on masks.

Thanks. I’ll check that paper out.

I am more in the mask camp than the no-mask camp. There isn’t another group with whom to compare that is vaccinated and does not wear masks. Or is not vaccinated that wears masks. One cannot conclude anything from your specific club experience. There exist numerous groups elsewhere that believe masks are unnecessary (or the benefit from them is not worth the hassle and loss of facial recognition), and they would not be enjoying the club as much. Would your club be “happier” if masks were not required? Is that extra happiness greater than the risk of not wearing masks?

This can also be explained by the different attitudes between the school districts. The unmasked group is more likely to be involved in more “dangerous” behaviors outside of school, and have different vaccination levels. I also assume a masking cohort is more likely to socially distance more than an unmasked cohort.

I did not mean my post to be evidence that masks work. There’s a whole thread devoted to that. I did mean it to be evidence that mask requirements don’t destroy all social life.

That’s just the first post in the thread. The last is probably the most comprehensive to date.

I think it is widely accepted that correctly using good masks in controlled environments will have >0 impact on transmission rates.

I think the subjective part is should we have universal masking rules that will try to forever apply this concept to every aspect of life in the name of >0 health improvements. Despite the fact there are many situations where masking is near 0 impact. Is it OK to make the #1 priority of the entire population public health?

Rules on masking have gotten better I think, but still are significantly lacking. There is no good set of defined rules the government can roll out that really just says “wear a mask when it makes sense to wear a mask”. All the rules they roll out create infinite situations where people don’t think it makes sense to wear one, so they dont, and some kind of mask police is trying to enforce a rule that is pointless.

‘but if everyone would just…’- just stop right there. everyone is not going to just anything. this is just projecting your own logic on others. The real question is what level of controversy is this >0 health improvement really worth in society?

some people say its worth it. Some say it is not.

I wish people would just protect themselves and others using some basic logic and take the pandemic serious enough to do so, but that is not the case. So maybe we do need to force the rules on society. But forcing blanket rules on me effectively removes what I believe to my own good judgment, and then I find myself getting screamed at by security to put a mask on, outside, 20 feet from another human.

2 Likes

See, most of the time when I’m wearing a mask, it’s not my #1 priority. Typically my #1 priority is picking which head of cauliflower to put in my basket or something.

Masks are a little uncomfortable. So are shoes. I’m not wearing either right now, working from home. And I admit that when I worked in the office, I often slipped off my shoes when it wouldn’t be too obvious. But I didn’t spend a lot of time thinking about shoes when I was heading to a meeting. And I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about my mask, either.

I agree that we aren’t going to get everyone to do anything. But I think we could make our lives a lot easier if it were more accepted to wear masks in more places.

1 Like

I don’t hate wearing a mask, but I don’t want to wear one forever.

4 Likes

Problem there is Americans. I see people walking in my near-empty neighborhood park with masks on.

“When you are in a place where there is a high probability of breathing the air immediately exhaled from someone else, wear a mask.”

1 Like

I’m glad I don’t work somewhere that I’d be breathing other people’s air all day.

Yeah, I almost never wear a mask. Just almost every time I go someplace social or shopping. But that’s a tiny fraction of my time.

1 Like

See, people are weirdly judgey about other people wearing masks. I really wish mask-wearing was more normalized.

I went walking half an hour with a mask yesterday. No one else on the path was wearing a mask. But most of them were out walking their dog or getting exercise, and had no reason to have a mask. I was killing time while waiting for an oil change. So I needed the mask when I dropped off the car, and when I picked it up. And it was cool enough out that it was pleasant to just leave it on in between. And that meant I didn’t need to find some other place to put it.

1 Like

I’m almost done with masks. They are more than a little uncomfortable. They are duhumanizing, and if you have 3 shots there is statistically negligible risk of serious illness. I’m wearing masks until my daughter is fully vaxxed, and then only if 100% required.

1 Like

Well, I keep my judginess to myself.

(Looks you up and down, tsks loudly, then walks away.)