How safe do you feel Part 2

2 doses of Moderna + booster in October. My wife’s father is immuno-compromised (he’s fully Pfizer vaxxed and boosted) and we are very careful about not seeing him unless we self-quarantine for 10-14 days after ‘risky’ behavior.

We went to Disney in October and felt fine (masked indoors, not outdoors). I developed a cough and post-nasal drip while there. We both got tested (and were negative).

Our last sit down restaurant experience was mid-late November.

I’ve maybe been in the store, veterinary office, or a restaurant for pickup 6 times in the past 5 weeks, and try to maintain 6-10 feet away from people. I wear a cloth mask + filter. My wife developed a cough last week and took a test (pending). EDIT: Negative.

I would not willingly share an indoor space with someone I knew to be unvaccinated. All of my immediate family (live 1000 miles away) and our friend group are all vaccinated, but we haven’t spent much time together.

masks in public places weren’t required for the vaccinated for about 5 months here. i ditched the mask during that time.

None really. My brother and SIL are unvaxxed and we see them at least twice a month throughout the whole pandemic (they got Omicron late December). I have some good friends I workout with and have throughout the entire pandemic who are unvaxxed (they got Delta Octoberish).

These days I wear a mask if required, but my county doesn’t require it so it is only if I go into the city proper. Grocery store here is probably 90% unmasked.

School for kids is unmasked. I know both my kids elementary teachers - they don’t mask and they prefer the kids to be unmasked though respect the decision either way. School is probably 10% masked kids.

My biggest behavior differences these days are if I see anyone elderly somewhere I usually give them a wide berth. If people are wearing masks I also try to maintain my distance.

I’m vaxxed + boosted + Omicroned.

2 Likes

As case rates started dropping the spring after people had been getting vaccinated, i went to a local park. I brought a mask, because i was uncertain of the rules. But seeing no signage about masks, and many unmasked people, i took off my mask so i could smell the flowers. (literally)

Except … Whenever i approached a masked person, i put my mask on. That was mostly older people and children.

1 Like

Infected December '20, 2 Moderna + booster since. Another couple mutations and I figure we’ll be at mass spread but minimal severity for vaxxed.

Right now, not doing anything so precautions aren’t a worry. When I have office visits / PT, I’ll be following provider precautions and probably not going anywhere otherwise.

Wife and I are continuing to mask when indoors away from home (even in venues where masking seems to be the exception; I got a few stink eyes when I went to a gun store right after Christmas…), and we continue to prefer to have groceries delivered and do take-out/delivery rather than dining in restaurants…but we tended to do that pre-pandemic anyway. We don’t hold ourselves prisoner in our home like we did for the 15 months starting in March 2020, although we haven’t been anywhere aside from a drive-through pharmacy in about a week and a half.

I have four trips booked between early March and mid July. One will be a road trip to finally put my father’s remains to rest by my mother, but the other three are bucket-list recreational travel – trying to visit the 7 states I haven’t yet been to, timing it so that I arrive in my 50th state on my 50th birthday.

We’ve both been infected (me twice), vaxxed twice, boosted, and have reminders set to schedule fourth doses in April. We’re not worried about death or severe illness, but we also really don’t want to be disease vectors either. Plus, the past couple of years have left us a little squeamish about other peoples’ germs, due to the residual impact of pandemic concerns intersecting with our health issues. So our activities for 2022 and probably into 2023 will be influenced by risk-reward considerations.

what makes you qualify for a fourth dose in april?

My wife is immunocompromised. I technically don’t qualify but barring guidance indicating that a fourth dose is harmful or the emergence of a shortage, I’d prefer to have extra protection to reduce the risk to her.

2 Likes

Our parish priest just announced he has tested positive for COVID. He noticed symptoms a couple of days ago and has self-isolated! Other priests from his order will be covering masses for the next little while. :+1: :church:

3 Likes

A chain restaurant by my place has outdoor seating with “heating”. There were actually people sitting there yesterday; my car thermometer read -11C. :man_shrugging: :roll_eyes: :man_facepalming:

Yeah I recently went to a place that was only outdoor seating. There were a few tables completely full and a few completely empty. I soon figured out the full ones were under heaters, the empty ones were not. It was 13F

One of my local restaurants has a sign on the door saying they have zero tolerance for abusing staff about masking policy. They go on to tell these people to take it up with the local MP (Member of Parliament). :+1:

5 Likes