How do you pronounce

Using “j” is a reference to a brand of peanut butter, IMO.

2 Likes

Ooh, you’re quite the choosy one, aren’t you?

1 Like

You would think that it would be ‘g’ because it is graphical information file. But the inventor said it was ‘j’. I’m guessing like you said because the g is followed by an i. Like you don’t use ‘g’ when you pronounce giraffe.

I know it’s supposed to be pronounced like the peanut butter but I feel wrong saying it that way.

I’ve always said “aaa”-pple, but… it’s got an “a” in it.

I said it wrong for a very long time. And like you, it feels wrong to pronounce it with a ‘j’.

I also have difficulty deciding when to use ‘a’ vs ‘an’ in front of many abbreviations or acronyms. Do you use the way the letter is pronounced or do you use the way the word represented by the letter is pronounced or do you always use ‘a’?

And don’t get me started on whether to us ‘a’ or ‘an’ before ‘history’.

2 Likes

This makes me giggle.

Like gelatin?

Let’s just say I’m giddy.

I think I get the gist of the arguments here.

1 Like

:musical_score:
:musical_note:
G…Grover
G…George
:musical_keyboard:

Sesame St G George and G Grover - YouTube

1 Like

Interesting. I always assumed that NEESH was the “right” pronunciation and “NICH” was the dumb American way to say it. Does the word have french etymology? If not, then this paragraph implies NICH is right and NEESH is people attempting to sound smart.

I always thought it was NEESH. :man_shrugging: :man_facepalming:

So is it microFITCH or microFEESH??? :roll_eyes:

Corniche is also apparently cornish, not corneesh. I learned how to properly tie my shoes at like 34 (strong Ian knot ftw) and now this. My whole life was one big fat lie. Oh, I didn’t have a shallot until I was almost 30.

I imagine the vast majority of words ending in “che” have French etymology - quiche, microfiche, nouveau riche, pastiche, cache, mustache, creche, douche.

Somehow, niche was the only one that ended up with the “itch”.

Niche etymology from American Heritage Dictionary (5th ed):

[French, from Middle French, either from nicher , to nest (from Old French nichier , from Vulgar Latin *** nīdicāre , from Latin nīdus , nest; see sed- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots) or from Old Italian nicchia , niche (probably from nicchiuo , seashell (in reference to the arched, concave form of niches, resembling a seashell), perhaps from Latin mītulus , a kind of mussel, of unknown origin).]

gabagool?

1 Like

It’s just the cost of a cup of coffee an hour.

2 Likes

so simple a giraffe could get it

I say neesh