How can you justify having kids at any time during history?

I feel like CS has a similar thought every few years. He still has no kids (I think) so he hasn’t changed his mind yet.

over under on CS first kid? 2030?

over

Why so late? I’m going with way sooner, like 2022

When are you gonna get knocked up ao-fan?

Probably never. I’m likely too old

Never say never…

Also, if you don’t want the baby, then don’t have the baby.
No, I do not just want to be starting something.

We are like 90% set on adopting when we get there. Being pregnant sounds unfun and it will help a human. Not sure what age we’d be hoping for though.

1 Like

This is a really good thing.

As a foster parent, I feel a sense of duty to urge people to not become foster parents with the intention/hope of adopting.

Foster to adopt is different, that’s where you foster a child who is already eligible for adoption with the intention of adopting, after a waiting period. That’s not what I’m referring to.

Fostering is often taking in a child who still has a reunification goal, which may or may not happen for them, but the foster parent should be pro-reunification for the sake of the child until custody is revoked. The goal of fostering is helping a family heal, not adoption on the cheap.

I’ve seen too many people get into fostering with the goal of adoption who get their hearts completely broken and who can’t be happy for the family they helped save, and it’s such a tragedy. I was at that point myself at first, and I wish I could go back and give myself some wisdom about it.

Anyway, good luck with that journey, if/when you take it.

4 Likes

Hugs NA.

I think fostering is amazing. And I know I don’t have what it takes but I’m so grateful that others do.

3 Likes

Concurring with twig on the hugs. I saw a foster situation with a close family member go south (he was hurting a pet and generally a terror). I think the child had been abused. I think that together we could work with most children, but I’m considering if a younger baby (like an unwanted pregnancy carried to term or just a few years old) would be best for us.

1 Like

Moments like these where I wish we had that great thread Sam did about his journey to adopt (a rollercoaster of emotions though, be warned).

From what I remember from that, adopting/taking in a very small child is actually a big shortage “problem”, at least in the US. Not a big issue having enough people willing to adopt a newborn, the trouble is the older children.

2 Likes

i’ve been thinking. End of humans is coming soon, probably around year 2100, due to out of control climate change. We all won’t see it, maybe our kids will. I’m thinking my kids shouldn’t have kids, cuz this is the end, my friend. As we humans don’t deserve to survive.

so relax, burn some fossil fuels, and enjoy

Even bad climate change forecasts don’t predict impacts that bad. It’ll suck really bad for the most helpless people but the developed world can largely deal with the effects. Not that we shouldn’t do anything about it, but it’s a bit similar to COVID-alarmism to say we’re all gonna die…

2 Likes