Horse Racing

Catch-all for the Sport of Kings Who Have Nothing Better To Do With Their Time.
First up: the 2023 Kentucky Derby. Biggest deal is that it is the 50th Anniversary of Secretariat’s win on his way to break a Triple Crown Drought.

My printed-on-paper paper has the same box, shown at the bottom, of horses, trainers, and jockeys,… except it has the “Trainer” and “Jockey” headers switched. I’ll see if I can take a pic with the phone and post it, cuz amusing.

Other than that, I’ve got nothing. I’ll record it, FF to the race, watch the race, then delete.

I wonder if there is a longer broadcast to contest time contrast in sports? I would imagine even the Olympics have a higher ratio of contest to broadcast number. And I’m not talking about the actual time from snap to tackle in football because the huddle between plays is part of the contest if you ask me, even if I tend to FF through it.

1 Like

The Superb Owl would be close, given the week-long build up and all-day pregame, but I think you’re right.

At least with that they actually break up the scheduled broadcast into a number of differently titled time segments. The Kentucky derby is scheduled on NBC from 2:30ET to 7:30ET. The SB had a couple earlier scheduled programs then the kickoff show for 15 or 30 minutes prior to the game time then the game broadcast which was scheduled for 4 or 4:30. Though the actual kickoff didn’t occur until about 15 or 20 minutes into the game broadcast.

1 Like

Though I have to say any of the various drafts might come close to horse racing.

1 Like

Coming here to note this, but didn’t want to divide by zero.

1 Like

Ooh…I’m wearing this T-shirt today:

3 Likes