Home VPN?

I’ve seen several advertisements, but can’t remember the names of any of the clients, but does anyone here personally use VPN on their personal machines?

I got a new laptop recently and am considering VPN for additional security. Any recommendations?

I use it because my daughter signed up for one (ExpressVPN) & you’re allowed to have multiple simultaneous users.

She signed up for one solely because she wanted to watch some US-only-streaming whilst she was not in the USA.

If you watch almost any YouTube video, there’s a good chance they’re hawking a VPN provider in order to get a kickback. nttawwt.

It’s not much help, but it answers your first question. I’m not sure if it does much good security-wise.

Security from what? Hackers? Possible but I suspect not. Govt? Pretty sure they can access what they want, vpn or not.
Vons are good for protecting your internet traffic for m.other people, while your traffic is being transmitted. Doesn’t help protect either endpoint really.thats why it’s good for corporate stuff, you can move data back and forth between two known secure endpoints (your laptop and company servers). But personally I don’t see the need.

I don’t think you’ll be anonymous on the WWW, since most browsers transmit a slew of info that can be used to track you. Also, some sites like 4chan blacklist the IPs of known VPNs.

For those of you on here who do use a VPN at home, do you have it configured in your router using OpenVPN so that all devices use it transparently; or do you configure the VPN on each device separately?

I just use my VPN on a device when I need it. Like those times I need to download Linux distros. I just turn it on for the download and then turn it off afterwards.

1 Like

Pretty much this for me, too, except I usually forget to turn it off when I’m done.

I use a VPN when cell service is crappy and I therefore have to resort to public WiFi, or when I occasionally want to shift my apparent location.

I’ve used a VPN to watch Canadian TV. There were some annoyances, but mostly it worked. I couldn’t really figure out what it bought me in terms of security, so when i finished watching the stuff i wanted to watch, i dropped the VPN.

1 Like

I use VPNs for the same reason I do a lot of weird things:

The fear that the innocent things I do now will some day be leveraged against me.

your ISP knows more about you than anyone in the world. it would be a shame if they used that for evil. maybe dont give them that power.

1 Like

there are some more practical reasons to VPN your location.

for example, NFL package costs USA customers like 1000 a year.

but if you router level VPN and set = Mexico. its 100 a year for the same service.

1 Like

My credit card company probably knows even more, and their data is easier to manage, review, manipulate, and study.

I also have like 15 CC and I am constantly churning new ones.

I think covid freaked me out a little when the government made leaving my house illegal.

bonus points for smart VPN use: different regions of the country may have different CC sign up bonuses. So if you VPN around a little you can add a few 100 bucks to a SUB on a new CC.

You live in China? TIL

If I lived in China, and thought I could get away with using a VPN, I would be doing that.

This seems like the most appropriate thread to share this link:

I was wondering about that. Thanks for the data.

What is the website’s liability if it’s accessed by an underage person in Utah, either using a VPN, or simply because geographic identification of IP addresses is not perfect?

This seems to be the law in question:
https://le.utah.gov/~2023/bills/static/SB0287.html

It doesn’t seem to mention a specific penalty…just that the pr0n website is liable if an underaged individual in Utah accesses its content, unless they make a reasonable attempt to check for age.

Presumably questions about whether the use of geolocation via IP address is sufficient, or if such website operators have to consider the potential for VPN use, in such attempts would be hashed out in court.

1 Like

Thanks. Their definition of a “reasonable age verification methods” is about what I expected. Kids can steal Dad’s credit card or look over someone’s shoulder. I’m curious to see how your second paragraph plays out.

I live in a city but websites that recite my dox to me say I’m in a nearby incorporated suburb. I assume misidentification that crosses state lines is less common, but I know some IP addresses track to nothing more specific than a country. Sucks for them if they’re excluded from the pr0nz.