Home Improvements

I had a heated floor (and towel rack) for six months when I was living in short term corporate housing and what I wouldn’t give to have that in my own home right now…

Would you give about $1500, all in?

1 Like

I took my savings rate down to 40% to help move the renovations along. As actuarial budgets go, that’s pretty dire.

Well that wouldn’t get it into my house right now, and since we have only one bathroom, we would have to stay in a hotel while the work was being done, so the inconvenience is the biggest cost.

I wish the house had come with heated bathroom floors. Since it didn’t, I’m not about to put in the energy to get it done.

:laughing:

Having that bidet toilet seat now would perhaps come in handy today.

Pretty sure we are going to hold off until we can budget for both heated floors and the bidet.

I used to really want a big old clawfoot tub. Then I realized that you need to clean underneath those suckers. I eventually found a modern, down-to-the-floor tub with a somewhat similar shape. The back is too steep, though.

1 Like

I’ve never had them. People I know who have had them like them, until they break. They are apparently a bitch to fix.

Yeah, you can do electric, or hot water. Either way you’re burying things in the floor, under tile and thinset. If the wire (electric) or pipes (water) under the tile fail, then you’re boned. I guess the good news is that if and when it breaks, it’s annoying but it’s not catastrophic, it just becomes a regular floor instead of a heated floor. Like the Mitch Hedberg joke about how escalators can never break, they can only become stairs.

So I’d bought two pairs of wall sconces on eBay. Thought they were all the same but there was a subtle difference that bugged me. So I found a third pair and bought them. They are also slightly different, but I can Frankenstein them so I have two pairs that almost exactly match. The bases on one pair is like 2/7" shorter than the other, once they are 2’ apart on the wall it won’t be noticeable and I’m calling that good enough.

1 Like

2/7 of an inch? What the heck kind of measurement system is that?

It was a reference to this post. But the difference is roughly a quarter of an inch, so 2/7” felt pretty cromulent.

2 Likes

Pretty obscure.

I don’t make all of my Rs easy to N.

2 Likes

:shake:
You’re not new here.

RN

1 Like

I N’d the R.

If I can pick up on something, no one else has any excuse.

2 Likes

well done

1 Like

Anyone here ever build a French cleat system for the garage? I’m strongly considering doing it, have researched it a bit, open to hearing any opinions from the folks here. Garage is 24x24 and I’m thinking of starting with an 8’ section to see how it goes.

@T-roy could totally do this with his fancy new saw.

1 Like

Looks like a fun project to build and organize, but I’d personally find that too messy looking.