Home-baked cookie ranking poll

I really enjoy a good oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.

3 Likes

I had been contemplating which cookie recipe to make for a host gift for Thanksgiving. Thinking cranberry white chocolate oatmeal. Craisins are a million times better than raisin and oatmeal cookies are the shiz.

1 Like

No, but you can freeze them for several months.

Beyond crispyā€¦ crunchy. It should shatter if you look at it cross-eyed.

1 Like

:iatp:

PREEEEEAAAACH, SISTER!!!

1 Like

But then you would befoul delicious butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and oatmeal with the vile awfulness of rai-SINS!!! :dizzy_face: :poop:

Not if you want to make meringue. They work for most everything else, but they just donā€™t hold as much air. Weā€™ve tried this.

Mmmmmmm, bread pudding.

Well, the kids hated these. Now I have 30 cookies without a home. I am making another batch of 36 to bring to the two thanksgivings later this week.

Guess youā€™ll have to mail them to Steve and Bro. If you have neighbors you like, you can say theyā€™re happy Thanksgiving cookies and thanks for being good neighbors.

2 Likes

Huh, Iā€™ve never noticed that. I guess normally if Iā€™m freezing egg whites itā€™s to make angel food cake. Which in my experience is fussier than meringue. But either one involves whipping the egg whites.

I havenā€™t observed a difference. :woman_shrugging:

Interesting. I find that it appears to whip okay, but when I cook it, the cookies ā€œmeltā€, and loose their stiff peaks. So instead of a round cookie with browned, caramelized peaks, I get a flat round cookie. Also, some of the egg white leaks out the bottom as it cooks, leaving an unattractive crust at the bottom of the cookie, and some mess on the parchment.

To be fair, Iā€™m not certain Iā€™ve ever used frozen egg whites for meringue cookies. (Which we call ā€œforgotten cookiesā€ because you leave them in the oven overnight.)

So I donā€™t think my experience directly refutes yours.

I tried Tateā€™s chocolate chip cookies just now. They are not bad!

For a crispy cookie that is. They are crispy but not hard. And the chocolate is good.

Way better than say Chips Ahoy.

I still prefer a thick gooey soft warm chocolate chip cookie. But these are good in their own way. :+1:

Where are we at on this one?

Oh I forgot! Hold please

Ok - for everyone except @Lucy (they are a soft cookie). These are a staple in my family.

Carrot Cookies (Donā€™t let the name scare you - just trust me)

3/4 cup sugar
1 t salt
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1 cup cooked mashed carrots (you can make these by steaming and mashing - but I usually just use a jar or two of jr. baby food carrots)
1 t vanilla
2 t baking powder
2 cups flour

Drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes

cool and then frost

Frosting (this makes enough to frost a double batch)
grate the peel of one orange into a bowl
squeeze in the juice of the orange (add a little more oj if needed)
1/4 to 1/2 stick of butter
1 box powdered sugar

Carrot cake is one of my favorites, so Iā€™m all about these.

1 Like

That felt like a bait and switch.

2 Likes

Been watching Seinfeld on Netflix. I imagine you seeing an oatmeal raisin cookie and reacting like Jerry does when he sees Neuman.

2 Likes