Historic drop in suicide rate

On the old ao someone put together a comparison of who gave back how much. I’m surprised you missed it.

Was this when you had to access AO through the back door? I didn’t know how to do that for a long time until ao fan asked Mod1 to email me using my registration info, which he did.

But I missed a block of time from whenever DW Simpson shut down the regular site until Mod1 gave me the path to the back door.

Also I had a new job last year, so my posting was down quite a bit as I adjusted. :woman_shrugging:

No, it was before it went belly-up. But maybe it was while you were busy. Or maybe it was in the p&c section and you didn’t notice. I don’t recall.

I was tracking them all for a while and posting updates in the thread that someone else started.

It was intriguing how different the responses where.

Like Geico did not do a refund, but dropped renewal premiums by 15% (for a six month term) while other carriers quickly gave back 25% in premium credits (state farm), but only for three months of premiums.

2 Likes

This just showed up in my news feed:

Now the numbers there (only 141 deaths) are pretty small, but SD is a pretty low population state to begin with.

For the whole country, car crash fatalities may be level for 2020 or even down a little, but because fewer miles were driven, the rates of fatalities per million miles driven is definitely up.

USAA gave us something like 20% back on a couple months of premium. Not significant, but we didn’t/don’t drive any more or less than we did before. We put maybe 3,000 miles on our car a year, and the only thing COVID did was stop us visiting my in-laws three hours away, once every 6-9 months, and stop walking to the grocery store every day – now we drive and it’s once a week, but it’s only a couple miles.

Anyway, sorry for contributing to the off-topicness. I like to believe my risk of dying in an auto accident is smaller than average to begin with.

It looked like a longer term trend in that data though and not a specific 2020 thing.

The SD AG has been busy?

it’s not life sucks, it’s life is great for everyone except me.

True. Fatalities, especially as a percentage of miles driven, have been trending downwards for decades.

I think there are a lot of reasons: cars have gotten safer, car seats have improved, booster seats are now used where they didn’t used to be, people are more likely to wear seatbelts, invention of airbags, less drunk driving, cell phones mean that the authorities are notified of crashes right away and can get emergency crews on the scene quickly, improvements in medicine to treat crash victims… maybe more.

“Real Sports” had a segment claiming that suicide in children, who were not allowed to play sports, increased. meep, want to confirm or deny that with actual statistics? Real Sports didn’t supply any.

(Aside: Personally, I don’t care much for their personal interest types of stories (obsessive kooks and weirdos, mostly), and this month that was all it was. I prefer the corruption stories. I guess the billionaire sports owners are cracking down on it.)

For what it’s worth the economist says excess deaths since Covid began in the US are around 592,000. The deaths attributed to Covid at the time are around 548,000. Basically very similar. There is no breakout just the totals.

I have seen people claim these. Anecdotally.

Thing is, I have no access to detailed cause-of-death data for 2020-2021. Or, I should say, only certain specified causes are available at various levels of detail: week & state. That’s it.

I’ll give you some snapshots for the U.S.: [from here Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19 ]

Obviously, recent weeks (in orange) are likely undercounting.

Quick interpretation:

Alzheimer & diabetes deaths – I thought some might be COVID undercounting, but I think it’s really just the first wave. Subsequent deaths may be lack of adequate care.

Heart attacks (ischemic heart disease) – I think that spike is COVID-caused blood clots causing heart attacks.

Flu & pneumonia – I do think these are really down due to virus interference between COVID & flu.

You might want to check which periods they’re covering. (and provide a link)

There are at least 548K excess deaths for 2020. A lot of COVID deaths have been in 2021.

Here are CDC estimates: [as of right now, 22 April 2021, 1:20 pm EDT]
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/covid19/mortality-overview.htm

551,728 COVID deaths [through 4/17/2021]

618,190 excess deaths [2/1/2020 to 4/10/2021]

Yeah I’m not sure on the timing.

I wouldn’t feel too bad about it – I have been running into this issue since last year, when people would pull two numbers from two separate sources, and not check they were covering the same period.

I would have thought that with working from home and remote learning, this would have shut[edited for typo] down flu vectors so the flu deaths are way down because the flu was not as effectively transmitted as in previous years. Also mask wearing may have had something to do with it as well when folks were out in public. Do you think Marcie heard that whistle?

1 Like

Take the poop talk to the Fitness forum imo

:popcorn: