Historic drop in suicide rate

Hmm, maybe @SpaceLobster didn’t include the blur thing? It works on my other discord boards.

Not implemented, it seems a bit wonky when I read about the implementation; i.e. apparently it performs poorly on mobile.
Do we have a need for this?

I like it, because it works in-line. Fwiw, I’ve had zero problems on my phone. Nor have i seen anyone else complain about it.

No, we don’t need it, but I’d like it.

Yes, they do. [I know, because suicide via gun is the largest by count, iirc]

I am not in the mood to look at suicide stats right now. I had my first suicide-related blog post in draft for about 3 years before I finally finished it.

2 Likes

I understand. You’ve put more effort into analyzing the results than I’ve been willing to devote, so I appreciate what you’ve done so far.

It also includes carbon monoxide poisoning, which here in the Northeast is pretty common… it also includes people who deliberately have their car in a garage and run the engine… [but we’ll pretend it was accidental…]

Thanks for the spoiler stuff, but given that list was short [compared to some of the other cause of death lists I have], I don’t feel like spoilering it.

Thanks for looking that up, i appreciate it.

As someone that has been… close to the ‘drug using community’ over the years, this has a lot of truth.

Just to add to it,
•Many people using H are doing it alone now as opposed to in small groups. Most people that OD can be saved if taken to hospital, but will die if alone.
•People that took a long break from H may have come back to a market where fentanyl is more common (and significantly higher risk of OD)
•other less lethal drugs that I would consider ‘party drugs’ like coke are not really solitary drugs to do. users of other drugs may have moved to H during the lockdowns.

1 Like

Motor vehicles have gotten a little safer.

Drug overdoses have sky rocketed.

We have more old people which means more falling and dying.

One of my best friends when I first moved to my current city killed himself after two years of knowing him. Everyone knew he was severely depressed, and had the potential to kill himself. I routinely would ask him to promise me not to kill himself, and he always jokingly said of course not. Things clearly got worse when he stopped going out for a year (he was one of the most attractive “scene” gays, incredibly good looking, amazing body, yadi yada), and gained significant weight near the end.
The week before he killed himself, he was actually scheduled to receive a newer kind of treatment, which, accordingly to my other friend that went to the doctor with him, he was actually excited to try.

I don’t think he ever publicly flirted with the idea of suicide.

I know many other people that complain about depression and routinely flirt with the idea of suicide publicly. None did.

One of the contributing factors is that asians in asia don’t abuse prescription drugs like we do.

Can’t speak for Mexico though, everything is over the counter so not sure how that works.

I do have the breakout by age, and yes, it’s old people who are falling.

I will be doing a blog post on this later. That’s why I was grabbing all the detail

1 Like

I would expect motor vehicle deaths to be WAY down in 2020 due to everyone staying home.

Commuting to work/school was way down.

Drinking in bars/nightclubs/sporting events was way down.

Driving to activities (kid and adult) was way down.

In-person shopping was way down.

Road trips were down. Maybe not as much as the others because people were still going camping and hiking and other relatively safe outdoor activities. But down some.

So I’d be surprised if the rate of motor vehicle deaths hadn’t positively plummeted. Especially if there was some way to segregate out the first 10-11 weeks of the year when things were still normal.

P&C folks… I’m assuming y’all had a good year if your company sells auto insurance, no? That ought to correlate positively with automobile deaths.

Fender benders are way down, but deaths not so much. People have been driving faster on empty roads or something.

But yes, personal auto had so few losses, especially in the early part of the pandemic, that all the major carriers offered partial premium refunds. And yes, we still made a lot of money on the line.

2 Likes

It’s wasn’t an amazing year, but it was a good year. As Lucy said, we didn’t see a reduction in the big claims, but the small stuff went away for several months. I wonder if people were unwilling to go see a doctor for that ‘neck strain’ that would have cost $2000 to “fix”.

1 Like

Interesting.

:open_mouth:
Did Allstate?

We didn’t get one that I know of.

Hmmm, well as someone with a lot of auto accident related back & neck issues… chiropractors and massage therapists around here were forced to close. And I don’t think this was the only place because I remember seeing a story that requests for narcotics Rx’s from doctors were way up since people couldn’t get into their chiropractors to fix their pain. So they needed to medicate it away instead.

I certainly am part of that stat. But it’s stupidly hard to get narcotics prescriptions these days, even if you have a legitimate medical need. :rage: Thankfully I happened across some old stuff that was buried in a cabinet. They used to hand out narcotics Rx’s like candy on Halloween (I turned them down many times: “no, you gave me a 4 week supply 6 days ago… I don’t need any more, thanks”), but now the tide has shifted too far to the other extreme.

But narcotics are much cheaper than chiropractors… and free to the insurance company if doctors refuse to prescribe them and people are forced to live in pain or turn to the black market.

Yes, they paid back a substantial amount of premium, but I think lower than most carriers (looks like only 15% of 3 months of premium)

https://www.allstate.com/covid.aspx

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. I handle like 98% of our finances, but home & auto insurance is the ONE thing hubby handles so I’ll have to have him check on this.