High School Sports split by sex and/or gender?

People have made attempts at short basketball. The World Basketball League was a pro sports league that had a maximum height of 6’5”, I believe.

Turns out that people weren’t especially interested, and it fizzled.

Small wrestling/boxing is a thing. Weight classes have existed for decades, perhaps over a century.

There’s tremendous interest in women’s sports and it’s disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

wait…so you’re against handicap, but segregate into different teams to create more winners is…better?

Well I don’t disagree that hs sports in the us is weird.
I’ve a friend that’s in broadcasting. He built a division that sends mobile broadcasting units to hs games, and I think they’re busy. Thats foreign to me, and I think a lot of non Americans.
Canadians don’t even do that for hockey, and people can get pretty intense with that sport.

Yes I’m fine with losing if my team isn’t the best. Why do I want to win due to a handicap?

1 Like

I think the greater good would be that it might cause more friendly co-ed interaction. And might cause people in general to not view boys and girls as belonging to separate worlds. Gender-segregation kind of lends itself towards having special feelings and relationships with your own gender, which causes sexism in a way.

Basically the same sorts of goals people have with forced integration.

2 Likes

But creating women’s sports literally is creating a handicap…

Interesting article about trans women in youth sports. Do Trans Women Athletes Have Advantages?

Takeaways at a skim (I mean I gotta do some work)

• Youth trans women do have an advantage. If they are undergoing HRT it is much less but still exists.
  • It’s not as much an issue for post-puberty athletes, but still somewhat exists. (Following a prolonged course of HRT - height and body frame would still exist.)
  • A very poignant aside that people who are, for example, left-handed people also have an advantage in some sports, but we still allow them to play.

my view is just non-competitive bowling though. i think women who compete competitively in any sport would likely feel excluded if they are now having to go to non-competitive because they can’t really compete against men.

in terms of sports though, they do. men are in general stronger than women and better at sports. it’s reality.

zogs bowling is meant to be a social league, so probably not a great example here. drinking, bowling, and socializing. as sports are competitive, it is that too, but it’s meant to also be social.

so probably not a great example.

All non elite sports should be social.

Sports is a game. Games are meant to be fun.

In terms of being on the “winning team”, it’s reality. But in terms of just playing for fun, it’s not.

The loss would be that women don’t get to be on the winning team any more. The benefit is that many would want to play for fun with the guys.

Nicely put.

Bowling is a pretty silly example. Around me adults play in a bunch of social sports in the park, many of them are intentionally chosen to be girl-friendly. That includes soccer, volleyball, frisbee, etc. These are things that guys have a competitive advantage in, obviously. But it’s nice that they are able to play together.

If women were not given the option to compete with each other, I suspect they’d be much more likely to have fun with the guys.

JSM - did you ever play sports on a team?

Seems ridiculous to me that men who hate competitive sports are the ones most fiercely arguing to get rid of women’s competitive sports

6 Likes

Fiercely is a bit strong. Is hipsterly a word?

I’ve played sports in PE classes. We all played together with no gender segregation.

No, was never on a team.

Those who can’t cook can still taste though.

So you as a man who has never done competitive sports, feel extremely passionate (given that this is like the fourth time you’ve bright this subject up on here) that women should never compete in competitive sports.

2 Likes

Or it causes resentment and greater sexism when the women don’t pull their weight because they are not as strong / fast as the men.

Racially integrated sports worked because people realized that black players were just as good as white players.

That’s not going to be true of women. Again, a bad comparison.