High School Sports split by sex and/or gender?

I agree. I probably derailed the thread (well technically it was my response to a question that was directed to me that derailed the thread.)

In a nutshell, I don’t buy into the trans in sports controversy because I don’t think sports should’ve been segregated by gender in the first place.

@lucy feel free to parse the gender in sports discussion out into its own thread.

done. And here it is

1 Like

So what? Segregate HS sports by sex which works fine for most. And for those that don’t fit the box, let them pick their box.

The controversy is coming from people who won’t let people choose the box. That’s their problem, not the system’s.
HS sports is about the kids, not about physical strength.people complaining about this are harming kids. Screw them.

3 Likes

Well, what’s the difference between segregating by sex vs segregating by race? It’s time to stop seeing the world through the lens of gender imo.

Because sex makes a HUGE difference on sports and race does not.

You mentioned that you thought Asians weren’t as fast as black people. I don’t think that’s true, or if it is it isn’t a huge difference. My evidence:
Rio results in 4x100 relay, Japan and China in top 4 (only Usain Bolt’s team ahead of Japan team):

Su Bingtain of China is in the Top 5 fastest 60 metres sprint times of all time.

So race, if anything, is <1% of the difference between the top ones in the world.

Sex on the other hand has about a 10% difference at the top, looking at the world records. 10% among the elite athletes is HUGE.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, when considering “how do I pay for college” . . . sports scholarships tend to be that ticket for many.

And perception is going to dominate pretty much any conversation in this space.

2 Likes

Not that I’m disagreeing with you, but i think high school sports are fundamentally broken if there is big money attached to the results.

It’s not the sports that is the broken part, it’s the college funding

3 Likes

Full ride scholarships to play sports . . . so, yeah; but money is often attached in many cases (not every high school, though).

Sure. And that goes with the trans discussion as well. Slight advantages in the tail can mean the difference between #1 and #2. I don’t disagree with that. If you want to segregate by weight, height, testosterone, drug use, hair shaving… at the professional level so things appear more “fair”, go for it.

But in school? I don’t think so.

The only group it would hurt to remove women’s sports is women. Not sure why we are intentionally trying to hurt women. And it would help… no one?

7 Likes

There is HUGE money attached to high school sports in that they are the gateway to college sports. And college sports are the gateway to professional sports.

If you have proposals on how to change THAT reality, then I’m all ears.

I think people are far less concerned about intramural / recreational sports as the stakes are so vastly much lower.

But as long as competitive sports exist, there will be rules governing them attempting to make them as fair as possible.

If you want to have different rules for pee-wee football than the Olympics… fine. But the Olympics is an actual thing that exists and needs to have rules clarifying who can and can’t play on the women’s teams.

I dont play sports because I suck, but think women who do play sports are the ones who should have an opinion on this rather than anyone else. They know if this would harm them and I suspect it would.

3 Likes

That’s like saying the only group it would hurt to remove short people’s sports is short people.

The group should never have existed in the first place (yes I know why it came into existence, but we’re past that now so that rationale no longer holds).

What’s the greater good in removing women’s sports? I’m not seeing it at all. There needs to be one.

3 Likes

Are we? I don’t think so.

1 Like

One sport I do participate in is bowling, but it is not a competitive league. Well not in years, but i used to. They used to have handicaps and at least one woman per team rule. I’m glad they got rid of that nonsense. Id rather lose to men than win due to a handicap. We dont need a female bowling league. Not sure that translates to all other sports though.

handicaps are actually used for both men and women I believe for bowling.

We played as a team, so it was a team handicap. Anyway, I think handicaps are dumb in zogs bowling. Let the best team win.