High latitude living

lol more like 9:30

8:33 p.m. and it is still fairly light, even with the clouds!!!

I love the long summer days in Scandinavia. Iā€™ve fantasized about living there in the northern-hemisphere summer, and in southern Chile in the southern-hemisphere summer.

1 Like

You need to also acknowledge the stupidness of our large timezones when dealing with sunrise and sunset.

Sunrise was 50 minutes earlier in Green Bay (5:09 AM) vs Pierre, SD (5:59 AM) despite being relatively close in latitude (44.513 vs 44.367).

pretty sure he was complaining because sunlight awakened him.

Iā€™ve been up since 5am because of the light. I really should think about some blackout curtains.

I hate blackout curtains because it makes me feel like Iā€™m underground, but I can see the struggle if youā€™re in a high latitudeā€¦ so then Iā€™d be keen for some smart curtains that become progressively less blackout as you get to a reasonable hour

oh lol that makes more sense

:iatp:

I love waking up to natural sunlight. I am less tired that way. If I wake up in a dark room because of black out shades I 1. get so confused 2. get so drowsy.

1 Like

I get three hundred hectares on a single tank of kerosene

Interesting to see how it impacts people in religions who base their traditions on sunrise and sunset. Muslims during Ramadan is one example, as well as Jews who observe the Sabbath from sundown on Friday until Saturday night. Someone once asked a rabbi how Jews would observe Sabbath in the Arctic when there is no sundown - he said they would probably look at the position in the sun. These are religions that started in the Middle East where there isnā€™t that big a difference between sunrise and sunset times throughout the year.

I believe the rule is during Ramadan if there is no sunset to use the sunset/sunrise times of Mecca.

Orthodox Jews above the Arctic circle use the times at the nearest established settlement that has a sunset.

Elect democrats or pay the Christian right media to start promoting it as godly