Help me pick out a TV

Haven’t checked if my TV was recalled yet, but if it was, I think I’m still leaving it bolted to the wall.

1 Like

I don’t know enough to give advice. I can tell you that I’m happy with my Costco purchase and that it suits my needs. If you’re very concerned about making sure your needs are met, I’d recommend going somewhere like Best Buy where they have professional young people that know a lot about this stuff and are paid to disseminate it.

I’ve purchased and installed three tv mounts in my life . I screwed up on the last one—setting it too high on the wall. Your experience will be improved if you use a stud finder over the tap-on-wall method.

I generally just go with whatever gets good reviews. Fact of the matter is they all get “good reviews “. Make sure it has features you want—tilt, rotate, extend, can handle the size of your unit.

… THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID!!!

OLED is overrated.

If I can’t leave the screen idle, I don’t want it

Can you expand on this?

A lot of smart TVs are Roku under the hood. But the Roku is a device I’m already familiar with, and is easy to upgrade. Friends with both prefer Roku.

The problem with OLED is that prolonged static image will burn into the screen, even if it’s just part of the screen that’s static. Think…News logo or something like that.

Usually they have features that help prevent this, like auto dimmer or something like that.

For me, I like to play music on youtube that sometimes don’t have a visual and it’s just an image. That’s really bad for OLED.

Have an OLED and yes it generally does things to protect itself from burn like revert to a screensaver when it’s idle and there’s some 5 minute reset thing it wants to do sometimes. I don’t generally use it for the YouTubes though.

Also, and to me more importantly, Costco has that “Now I think this was a mistake and I want my money back no questions asked” Now Factor.

Eh, check the fine print. Too many people “buying” (borrowing) the huge screen for some February game then bringing it back afterward has gotten them wise.

OK, if you do that intentionally, then you are a dirt-bag. I try not to abuse the privilege. I know Costco can and will check your return history, and may cancel your membership if the privilege is abused.

So, will all TV’s handle video games these days? Last time i shopped (probably more than a decade ago) latency was a major issue. Maybe it’s not any longer?

The LG OLED we got was specifically selected for PS5 optimization - but my 13 year old Samsung that came free with a mattress from THE BRICK was fine for gaming also, imo.

I think I just ninja’d myself.

Not to derail the thread, but what games is your family playing nowadays?
I pre-ordered the Hogwarts game that’s gonna come out next month.

Husband: Bloodborne
14: Madden23
11: Unpacking
All: Rocket League

(This is the PS5 line-up. There’s also the Switch, Steam Deck, and the computer games - Stardew Valley, Potion Craft, Colors Live)

I’m still mostly playing Minecraft. But i plan to mess with Witcher 3 soonish.

I’m still pretty happy with the Samsungs we bought in late 2021 and early 2022. My daughter occasionally uses the living room one for gaming.

Not to derail the main theme of picking a TV, but the concept behind Rocket League baffles me, and I cannot understand how it is popular at all.

Has anyone purchased or know someone with a super thin tv for mounting like Samsung “The Frame”?

My TV is probably 1/4th the size of that TV - it’s mounted (but not flush with the wall like that if that’s what you mean?).