Have we rounded the corner for the final time?

Where is this happening?

US: What are the Implications of Long COVID for Employment and Health Coverage? | KFF

Europe: At least 17 million people in the WHO European Region experienced long COVID in the first two years of the pandemic; millions may have to live with it for years to come

Children: Long-COVID in children and adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analyses | Scientific Reports

From what I looked at none of that says 20-40% of the people that get Covid end up “long term disabled”.

1 Like

Not my job to educate you.

Good day to you as well!

Well, there were a shit ton of Omicron cases last winter. But winter wasn’t “ruined.” Ok, fine. A beer festival that I wanted to go to was canceled. But I just drank beer at home instead. It was fine.

1 Like

I think if long covid we’re debilitating 20-40% of the people who catch covid, we would all know lots of debilitated people. I know a couple of people who have long covid bad enough that it’s changed their lives, out of scores of people i know who recovered from covid.

The studies on long covid are all over the place, in part because some include “had a cough for 3 months” (which is common) and others are focused on major issues, like chronic fatigue syndrome, heart damage, and brain fog.

2 Likes

I know a number of people who can’t run anymore, or have brain fog for hours after physical activity, or just chronic fatigue that they try to fight through. Pretending like it’s not happening because it makes people uncomfortable to realize that their choice have led tens of millions of Americans to have suffered serious long term (note: long term doesn’t mean permanent) issues sucks.

Talk to any health care professional that works with COVID and they’ll tell you it’s much worse than you think.

I think it’s very bad. I think we are still in the midst of a very dangerous pandemic. I didn’t attend Yom kippur services today because i didn’t think it wise to be in a room with a thousand other people. Instead, i stood outdoors, wearing an N95 mask, and greeted people.

But i don’t think 20% of covid cases result in debilitating after effects, either. I think the percentage is a lot higher than i am comfortable with, especially for people my age.

1 Like

The kff article has 10-33% — I think 20% is a very reasonable expectation.

My reading of that article indicates that somewhere between 10-30%+ of people who had COVID get long COVID and somewhere between 20-50% of those people may have a debilitating form that is impacting their ability to work.

1 Like

I’d buy 2-15%

2 Likes

96M US cases. Some repeat cases, likely 85M US people have had COVID.

Recent survey from the Census Bureau shows that 14.8M people have ‘day to day activities that are currently limited’ by Long COVID (1/3 of which are “limited by a lot”), and another 3.8M that have been diagnosed with LC but have no current impact on day-to-day activities. And that’s just the people that got diagnosed with LC, which many people that suffer from it don’t get.

2-15% is just fooling yourself. If you get COVID, you have a 1/4 - 1/3 chance of getting long covid, and if you do, you have about a 75% chance it’s going to change your lifestyle, and 25% of it severely impacting it.

How’d you go from 96M total cases to 75M unique individuals? Is that based on an average reinfection number or is it a wag?

Those are about the odds I’ve been thinking are realistic for me. But I’m old. I think young adults have better odds. (And adults significantly older than me still have a decent chance of outright dying.)

Oops, that should have been 85M — fat fingered a number there on my phone - sorry about that.

Estimates are than 10% of cases are reinfections at this point.

Depends what you mean by ‘old’. Peak risk of long COVID seems to be 45-65 — after that, COVID is more likely to get you outright and before that it seems to be a little reduced for the real crippling stuff, though younger adults may be having more cardiac events though I haven’t seen anything totally definitive on that yet.

Ok, thanks for the correction.

Those estimates are based on reported cases. Reported cases are more likely to be more severe than non-reported cases. The percentages based on total infections would be lower.

Government knows about 1 out of 8 cases in my household. /anecdote.

Yeah, I’m in that 45-65 sweet spot for getting long covid. I largely hang out with college students and recent grads these days, so i feel old. And in particular, i feel old with respect to covid as they are, i believe, at much lower risk than i am.

God knows that most of them have had covid recently, and few have had anything worse than a nasty cold.