Have we rounded the corner for the final time?

Some first-cousin strains married. Had ugly kids

The CDC just raised the community level to yellow & red for a bunch of counties surrounding me…it used to be green.

I don’t think most people know that measure exists, let alone are going to change their behavior because of it.

1 Like

Well, my workplace uses those guidelines to determine whether or not we have to mask while in-office. Where I live, though, you are correct that very, very few will change their behavior.

Yeah, same with my office. The office isn’t technically open but they still hold in-person meetings from time to time.

My ZIP Code has three times the goal in terms of positives per 100000 over the past 14 days.
Better than January, when it was 21 times the goal.

Is that seriously what it’s called? The “goal”? I mean, I guess I’m not sure what a better word would be, but shouldn’t the goal be zero?

I assume it’s not since your post strongly implies that 3X < 21X.

Perhaps threshold is a better term

1 Like

Because they haven’t rolled out the Omicron-specific vaccines yet. Once that happens there will be more evolutionary pressure for another VOC to emerge.

“The goal” was set by the area I live in. And the infection rate is higher than “the goal” rate. And that is “bad.” The infection rate rising is why LA County is considering indoor masking.
I apologize for not using the “bunny fingers” in my earlier post.

Lower infection rates is the goal. Zero seems unobtainiumable. Zero COVID Hospitalization rates seems like a far more critical (still not very obtainable) goal, since high hospitalization rates means less availability for non-COVID admissions.

I believe that (pedantic, pushing glasses up the nose bridge), unless X<=0, 3X < 21X. In January, the infection rate was very high. In July (now), it is not as high, but certainly higher than much of the time between January and July.
Thus, with respect to the thread title, not the “final time” we are rounding a corner, just rounding yet another in a series of corners.

1 Like

Aren’t we on the 7th surge of this “seasonal” illness?

1 Like

Yeah, I understood all that. It just seems like “goal” is an odd word choice. I agree with dothemath that “threshold” would be a better word.

Accurate, however I never understood the logic of rebranding it as a “surge” instead of a “wave.”

How do you measure a year?

Seasons of covid doesn’t sound as nice when put to music, sadly.

1 Like

Because healthcare gets swamped?

3 Likes

According to the CDC, my county meets the threshold for high community levels, but according to the county, it’s only at medium. The county has a lower hospitalization rate because “…the data quality team removes cases among people who are hospitalized for other reasons, but also have COVID” That’s right, the county health department are removing people hospitalized with COVID.

Eh, I’ll allow it.
“I broke my leg, I need emergency help. Oh, I also have COVID, but it’s not requiring me to be hospitalized. kthxbi”

Or… COVID exasperated an existing illness to the point hospitalization was needed. You could make an argument either way. So it would make sense that 2 different health agencies do it 2 different ways.

Hmm, I’ve seen both numbers published locally, but I’m not certain what the CDC numbers are based on.