Have we rounded the corner for the final time?

Yeah the county, state and CDC numbers are all different. If I can’t trust the input, I cannot trust the output. That’s straight up GIGO.

Anyone who cares should start precautionary measures when the rates just start going up. To quote some random '90s band, “By the time you hear the siren, it’s already too late.”

I think it’s the 6th, but who’s counting? The first 3 surges were likely due to the mitigation efforts, otherwise it may have been a single larger surge.

Seasonality of coronaviruses appears to vary a bit between warmer and cooler climates, with warmer climates seeing both fall/winter and summer surges during the rainy season or hottest weather, and in cooler climates the seasonal surge tends to be more confined to fall/winter.

According to my state’s data, there were 7 spikes, including what we’re in now.

It was #4 that I didn’t count, although in this state it’s more apparent.

Huh, didn’t have a #1 or a #4 where I’m at.
And our #7 is nowhere near #3, but close to our #5 (which was a lot lower than our #3).
Yet.

Wondering if we should simply prepare for another January?
Is the annual January spike going to be caused mainly by holiday vacations?

1 Like

Huh, my state looks more like 4 surges. The initial infection, both Januarys, and the recent BA1/2. I guess the peaks have “shoulders” roughly corresponding to @dothemath’s 4th and 5th surges.

We’re kinda bracing for ba5 and or ba2.75 now. I’m seeing more masks in the grocery store again, for instance.

Canadian broadcaster CTV was referencing “Ontario’s seventh wave” last week.

CDC finally approved Novovax for adults. More conventional protein-based vaccine as opposed to mRNA. May or may not see an uptick in adoption.

About 20% of my WFH co-workers have covid rn. The hospital that I work for is also seeing a lot of 2nd and 3rd time EE covid cases. UGH!

I mean it’s the third July in a row that cases have increased and people still want to call it a fall/winter thing. :woman_shrugging:

I’m pretty sure it’s a fall/winter thing that starts in July and peaks in January.

Seems more like a July, “It’s too hot outside, so I’m going to stay inside with this nice recirculated air conditioning, with people whom I don’t know where they’ve been,” and a January, “It’s too cold outside, so I’m going to stay inside with this nice recirculated heating, with people whom I don’t know where they’ve been,”

This is definitely true here for all types of airborne illnesses. People are indoors more in the middle of summer and winter. I think one thing that helps in the middle of summer is that school is out.

COVID transmission now is almost as bad as it’s ever been. Fortunately the current strains aren’t nearly as deadly or prone to severe illness. I still don’t want it.

I’m slightly surprised more people aren’t masking up. I think that’s likely a combo of the lower fatality rate, fatigue about wearing masks, and outright propaganda about COVID.

Biden has COVID.

While the majority of COVID propaganda is on the side of “freedoms”, there is plenty on the side of “safety”.

I have the “traveled by air crud”. Two tests yesterday (home and urgent care) said not Covid. Came home with a z-pack “just in case” but I’m getting sicker, so it’s probably viral. Temp of 97.9 at urgent care (my normal) and 100.0 now. I’m gonna retest in the morning.

Feel better soon!

Tested negative for Covid again this morning. Taking a cold/flu formulation but when it wears off my temp is 100-101. Debating if I need to go see my regular PCP tomorrow. Someone else at work has similar symptoms, so it could be something going around although I wasn’t in the office at all last week so we didn’t get it from each other.

(This probably belongs in some “not Covid” thread after 3 negative tests.)

It took me 5 days in to test positive

Our neighbors got covid for the first time this week. We still haven’t, AFAIK.

My son had a cold a few days ago, now other son does, but seems not covid.

Not sure how we have still managed to avoid it, but I’m not complaining.

2 Likes

I still tested negative Monday, after symptoms were bad enough on Thursday for me to know it wasn’t my normal allergies. Talked to my dr Tuesday & she was pretty sure it was viral but not Covid. But ugh—I’m thinking my previous Covid experience altered something in me bc I have not been this sick for this long in a very long time.

Debating doing the rest of my CPD online. I can’t just miss a week of work any time I go to a conference. (The conference I attended was small, and I think I was exposed to whatever either before I left home or on the airplane.)

1 Like