Have we rounded the corner for the final time?

new thought for me.

if vaccine is 85% effective, does that mean 15 out of 100 people will basically not be protected at all, or for all 100 people 15% of exposures could lead to COVID?

and if the former, can revaccinination help, or are certain people just not suited to it?

i think for those who get COVID anyway, it’s likely to be a more minor case than it would have been. There are 3 categories of protection. protection against getting it at all, protection against a severe case, and protection against death. so far, i think it’s been 100% effective against death for all the vaccines, but those other categories vary. that 100% might change at some point though.

Source? I’m seeing much lower numbers.

This has 65-74 and 75+ separate, but looks about the same to me as what greenman wrote (despite name of page, age breakdown appears to be US wide):

Thanks. My data was slightly out-of date, and I guess things are moving quickly. :smiley:

Since it takes a couple weeks for immunity to establish, and since deaths lag infection data, perhaps things are turning around, and we just don’t see it quite yet. Here’s hoping.

This. When a vaccinated person needs to be hospitalized or dies, then I’ll be concerned. If it’s a mild case, the vaccine did it’s job.

1 Like

When they calculate the effectiveness they look at how many vaccinated people in the trials caught Covid compared to how many people in the control group caught Covid.

So if the control group has 30 out of 1000 catching Covid and the vaccinated group has 3 out of 1000 catch Covid then the vaccine is deemed 90% effective.

Note that the numbers usually aren’t round and the two groups frequently aren’t the same size. And sometimes they don’t need a control group (such as with AIDS drugs) because they can use historical evidence instead. They know what happens if you don’t treat AIDS.

good point and odds of getting it is a lot less than 10%.

still wonder if for those 3, if they are immune to the vaccine, that particular shot didn’t work or any of the 1000 could have caught it .3% of the time (using you numbers), as any of the other 1000 caught it 3%

this needs to be national and transferrable state to state

1 Like

d4654631b36f49c0c3f1378f867f7de0

1 Like

This should be illegal. No one is entitled to your medical history.

2 Likes

I’m not seeing what the problem is.

No one is getting your medical history unless you offer it to them. If you don’t want them to know your vaccine status you can wear a mask.

And actually, plenty of people are entitled to your medical history. Want to register your kid for daycare, K-12 school, university? Vaccine history please!

Want to travel to a foreign country? Proof of certain vaccines might be required.

As a school teacher I continually had to provide negative tuberculosis tests. At one point I think I had 8 tests in a roughly one year period. I’m not certain of the exact number, but it was a LOT. I have never been so certain of my tuberculosis-negative status as I was when I was teaching.

I was under the impression that if you dont want to provide your vaccine or covid test status, you simply wont be allowed into those venues, mask or not.

I’m required to have either a negative covid test or vaccine proof to even be in your state @Mountainhawk. Do you have a problem with that too? Gives people motivation to get vaccinated to me and is a good thing. Actually I think I might have said the opposite before. Changed my mind.

Actuarial employers requiring it might be going too far, but I’m okay with sports venues and other venues with mass gatherings like that requiring it.

1 Like

Lots of health systems require the flu vaccine as condition of employment as well

1 Like

So I figured out my TB tests. I had 8 total and 7 were in an 18 month span. It was a lot, but anyway, point being that in the interest of public health there’s a lot they can require.

I have mixed emotions about these vaccination passports.

I think about those who have good reasons to not get vaccinated, or for whom the vaccine is not expected to be effective. I don’t know how many of those people there are. But I think it very unfair that they are put at risk in public by people who do not have a good reason to avoid vaccination. For everybody else, the vaccinated seem to have relatively little to fear from covid, I think.

These passports could also encourage everybody to get vaccinated. As a matter of principle, I think the public health needs outweigh an unsound reason to not vaccinate. In other words, it is ok to coerce some people to get the vaccine. But i’m not sure this would be all that effective at this.

I know someone who had tb. Nobody caught it from her. I think covid is way more contagious.

Mostly not a fan of people opting out due to religious or personal anti vax beliefs. If someone truly has a medical reason not to get vaccinated, maybe there should be exceptions for them.

1 Like

Yes, yes I do.

1 Like